Old 05-15-2016   #1
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Dolores river Gateway to Dewey

I have never run this before and it seems like now is the time to do it. I was wondering if anyone has any info about it ? I can't seem to find anything about it on any old forums. I'm thinking about May 19-22. We would use a 14 ft raft and 13 ft cat. Any thoughts ?

tczues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016   #2
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Its a great three day trip. Chicken Raper/Stateline is a long rapid. A few miles downstream from there is a fairly significant rapid. There is a great hike a few more miles downstream on river right.

Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Yes a great three day trip. Beware of the diversion dam a few miles downstream of Gateway.

There is info on this trip in the old-school (paper) river books and map guides. I am not sure if any of that stuff is still available. The BLM also has info on their web site and they require a permit, more of a registration form than a permit - you can just call the Moab office and get that done.

Have fun.
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #4
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
There are a couple of us that plan on running that section this week, launching on the 19th. This is also our first time and we are also looking for some info (Camping, hike options). Here is some of the info I have found on the rapids, but now sure how accurate, so if anyone else has done this section recently, we would appreciate an update. Also not sure what the rapids are like at this level. Looks like it will be 1000-1500cfs this week.

Diversion dam down river from Gateway. Run left?? - might be worth it to scout first.
Stateline/Chicken Reaper - Pick your way through the boulders on the upper section, but is sounds like left of center?? and then make sure you go down the right channel past the Island - do not go down the left channel.
Rock Slide rapid - Sounds like it can be tricky and we are not sure the line through this rapid.

We have two 14' rafts and a couple duckies.
zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #5
G.J., CO
Paddling Since: 1990
A buddy and I did that run about 5 years ago. Great section but a bitch of a shuttle. Definitely scout the diversion dam. When we did it we ran left after scouting the dam because there was a piece of rebar sticking out of the water on the right side run. It was difficult to find a decent campsite because the water was high and it isn't visited that often. Cool canyon with history, long paddle out lots of S curves.
Eddy Groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Ah the shuttle, forgot about that. If the road up John Brown Canyon is open, take it. It is much shorter and one of the most incredible drives anywhere. You end up at Castle Valley. It was raining, the locals warned me against it, and the shuttle services refused to drive my 4WD on that road. I gave it a try in an overloaded Honda Civic and made it without incident, so don't be too hesitant.

The tamarisk is thick but certainly scout the dam (it is made of rebar and boulders and changes over time).

Take some time to scout all of Stateline - it will be several channels at 1,500, probably with trees in one or two. It is nothing too crazy, just needs scouting.
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #7
Washington, Utah
Paddling Since: 1
Im looking for partners.. I have a group, but there a maybe... If looking for an extra I'd be in.. I have my own boat, and completely self sufficient.. thanks
chadleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #8
Grand Junction, Colorado
Dolores river May 13th

We just got off the river yesterday. We had a lot of carnage. We had one flip on Rock slide and a rap that caused us to spend 4 hours on State Line. One other group flipped, one snapped a sawyer ore, and one was last seen trying to Javelin a raft tube that was stuck on a lower rock in rock slide. I don't know if I would recommend that. State Line was way more massive than I expected. We camped above beaver the first night at a good camp and scouted beaver and Rock Slide that morning. I would recommend sending one through at a time through Rock Slide, since most of our problems came from avoiding the first stuck raft. We camped second night at the little Grand Canyon. It had an amazing hike, but the camp was a little ruff with no shade. All in all way more beautiful and exciting than I expected. Advice, bring a Z drag kit. The 93 dolores river guide goes for about 300 dollars and the 1997 one goes for about 3000 on Amazon, or you can just get it from the Vail library like we did.
Lastly on Diversion, I went far left and got a little stuck, one boat went left between the rocks and had a wild ride, one went center and it was supper smooth, and one follow the center root and got stuck angled straight down. Well, that was my amazing trip at about 1300 cfs.
rer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #9
Grand Junction, Colorado

By the way, if anyone gets stuck on the center Island and finds a salamander through bag or 3 yellow Carlisle Ores please let me know. Plus if anyone was on the trip that was playing joust on Rock Slide Rapid, please post the story!
rer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #10
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Heading down Thursday night to cap at Dewey. Driving to put in in the morning. I am looking forward to this. Only 3 going.

tczues is offline   Reply With Quote