Old 07-26-2015   #1
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1984
Do I Need New Tires for the Deso Shuttle?

So I just got a new-to-me 4Runner (was my dad's) with what I thought were some pretty decent tires with a lot of tread on them. I read the shuttle info and it says "P - Rated tires are not acceptable for this shuttle".

So I went and figured out how to decipher whether or not they were "P" rated and turns out they are. Goodyear Wrangler RT/S P265 70 R16.

Do I need to go get all new tires on my rig?

Tucson_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015   #2
Tucson, Arizona
Can't seem to post photos but here's a link

Old 07-26-2015   #3
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
P rated tires are not ok on a trailer for shuttle. The tires you have are fine if in good condition. Have a solid spare or two and your good to go.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015   #4
Tucson, Arizona
That's what I wanted to hear. Only got the one spare but I think it's brand new. Any dissenting opinions?
Old 07-26-2015   #5
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Think off roading trip as well as river trip on deso, and definately slow down on the unpaved. Pay river runners in vernal to shuttle, it is worth it for that trip!

Oh, and watch out for fast movin oil patch trucks, esspecialy at end of day,they are in a hurry to leave work, like no other.
Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015   #6
Grand Disfunction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would make sure I had at least two spares for your truck and two for your trailer. Sometimes you just have bad luck and its a long walk to the tire store. Have run the shuttle many times, sometimes I made it without incident, others I needed more than I had.
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015   #7
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I wouldn't hesitate to rock those tires down to Sand Wash. The P rating concerns the load capacity more than anything. Keep the load in your 4-runner reasonable and you should be fine. Overload your rig and you are might run into trouble.

FWIW: Last year my friend took his all wheel drive volvo station wagon on a Deso shuttle a day or two after Sand Wash had flashed. It bottomed out in a few spots, but did just fine. I am sure he didn't have LT tires on his car.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015   #8
Tucson, Arizona
Sweet. New offroad tires cost like $225 a piece. I think I will go down to the tire store and feel good about buying an extra spare and call it good. Then leave a note for the shuttle driver that those tires are not LT's. I'm not so worried about the drive in as I can take it slow, but more about the RiverRunner Transport driver wanting to get the day over with. Shouldnt be too big a load. Me, one passenger and gear. No trailer. One SOAR 16 foot canoe weighs less than a person.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 07-27-2015   #9
cedar city, Utah
First and foremost, we buy what we can afford and no one can argue with our personal budgets. If you don't have the $$ than the P-Rated Wranglers will have to do the job.

Second, I trust the judgement of the folks at River Runners because they run that shuttle everyday with multiple rigs; the key is they are recommending the most appropriate tire for that road but not necessarily what is best for your truck year round. We transitioned to LT rated tires last summer because of Deso and I haul firewood off dirt roads on USFS and BLM lands. We went with the LT-rated Wrangler A/T w. Kevlar. Several of our friends have experienced flats on that road whicg can jeopardize a trip fast.

People are correct that the load range goes up with LT-rated tires. That is a benefit of their beefier construction, especially in the sidewalls. When you compare most LT tired to their P-rated breatheren you will see thy tend to have more plies. Not only that but that are made with higher quality steel belting for the plies. The tread is also better designed for off-road use, mud and snow than P-Rated tires. The principle change in use for owners will be the fact that LT-rated need to be inflated to higher pressures to carry the same load; my tires sit at 45 PSI for average loads but are designed to be inflated to 80 PSI. Most P-rated tires max out at 35 PSI.

Make no mistake, an ideal tire for dirt roads and loads would be an LT-rated tire. Manufacturers put P-rated tires on trucks and SUVs because 1) most people only drive paved roads with them, 2) they are quieter and get better MPG and 3) they are cheaper to produce which is key to price pointing cars off the lot. Those are all realities of their tread design (efficiency over traction) and weight (fewer plies).

If you are not on dirt much the decision is much harder. Its expensive to put a LT-rated tire on a truck/SUV that only sees dirt once a year. On the other hand, if you primarily run rivers in Utah (Sandwash Rd, Clay Hills shuttle, etc), camp in southern Utah in places like the Escalante, and carry any loads (most curb weight trucks are already at 60-70% load capacity of P-rated tires) than justifying LT-rated tires becomes easier.

If you stick to P-rate tires just 1) keep loads lighter, 2) drive slow down the Deso road, 3) be very aware of road conditions for your sidewalls and 4) have a full-size spare and checks its pressure before you leave.

Have a great trip. Missing our normal summer Deso trip.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #10
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
Tires can do many things,including deso shuttles. But there are tires for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

stuntsheriff is online now   Reply With Quote