Old 07-27-2015   #11
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992
Originally Posted by Tucson_John View Post
.....Me, one passenger and gear. No trailer. One SOAR 16 foot canoe weighs less than a person.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
You may also want to look in to Redtail Aviation and be flown to Sand Wash from Green River, UT if you're traveling light. Would probably need two trips (flights) to get you and your passenger and equipment there.

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #12
SLC, Utwah
I have had a total of 4 flats on the Sand Was road over the years. 2 on one trip (good luck finding a tire shop on a Sunday- closest place is flippin Walmart in Vernal). 2 were BF Goodrich ATs with a P rating. The other 2 were Hankook Dynapro ATs with a P rating. The BFG had about 75% wear and overloaded. The Hankooks had about 60% wear and were not overloaded. I have popped 1, River Runners popped the other 3.

Last week I bought a new set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs with an LT rating. These are also more agressive than the Hankooks these were replacing but are still considered an all terrain tire. The ride is signifacantly rougher (wife could not read her cell phone on a stretch of highway that has never been an issue in the past- too bumpy) and I had a small decrease in MPG heading to my cabin in central UT. There is no question that the performance on the dirt improved during the few mins I messed with them this weekend.

I would still feel compfortable with a P rating on Sand Wash, especially if I was not overloaded. I jumped up to the LT as I felt it was in my best intrest to get a stonger tire since I was throwing down $1200+ for tires and am planning on pulling a heavier load than my raft setup in the near future. If I was driving a small to mid-size SUV or small truck I would look at P rated only.

AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #13
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1984
Thanks for all the help on this everyone. In the end I opted to put $958 on the CC for new tires. I took the rig to my local tire shop where I always go and they said that my two rears were in decent shape but that my fronts were 10 years old and needed replacement. I kinda suspected that after closer examination. Since I wasn't going to buy two new P tires I opted for 4 new LT's. They were a slightly different size so I needed a new spare. They found a used spare for me and traded it for one of my decent tires and gave me a little credit for the other decent used P tire. Well, peace of mind anyway. I do get into the backcountry quite a bit so it isn't wasted money, just an unexpected expense as I had assumed my tires were better than they were. Thanks again for all the thoughtful advice!
Tucson_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #14
vernal, Utah
Paddling Since: 1986
I feel like I should comment on this thread. The information that we (River Runners' Transport) send out only recommends an LT tire; it isn't a requirement. We have moved many vehicles with BALD tires successfully. It really depends on the road conditions. The mancos shale rock is what can ruin a tire because it is so sharp. If the road has just been graded then the rocks will be kicked up and sometimes pushed to the side of the road. Then the big oilfield trucks come along and kick the rocks back up on top of the road. The key is to take it slow and stay on the dirt road; try and stay off the sides that have been graded. Unfortunately, with all of the rain we've had lately, the road is VERY rough in several places; rough meaning rocky and rutty. The key is no DONUT tires and full size, fully inflated spares. You have no idea how many times we've gone to change a tire and find no spare or a donut tire or a spare that is balder than the ones on the vehicle. Our drivers do not want to change tires even though we do so that the customer will have their vehicle at the take out.

And just to clarify another comment, the drivers are not pushing it to get home. They leave Vernal EVERYDAY by 6 am and move an average of 10 vehicles at a time. They know the road; they stay together and have radio contact between the last vehicle and the first; and they take it slow and keep a distance so that they are not in each others dust cloud.

Hope this clears up any questions about the Sand Wash road.
melmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #15
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

I have wondered when you actually move my vehicle. If I launch on say a Sunday, looking for a 6 day run, when would you shuttle mine?

Also, it is a perennial question here as to the condition of the road. BLM Price doesn't seem like it keeps up with that (knowing the condition). Are you the best source on that?

And, when are you going to start shuttling from Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom, and if you aren't who does? Used to use the Dunhams, but I heard they stopped.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #16
vernal, Utah
The shuttle would be done sometime between the day after you launch and the day before you come off. So in your scenario, between Monday and Thursday.
Old 07-27-2015   #17
vernal, Utah
Sorry I didn't read the rest of the post. Yes we are a good source for info on the road because we are there everyday; BLM is not. It is a county road not BLM so the counties maintain it. As far as the other areas, we have all that we can handle because we serve everything from the Flaming Gorge Dam through Deso and the Yampa and White rivers. Last year we shuttled 2,579 vehicles in the season and are on the path to exceed that number this year. Lots of driving and tons of unique scenarios. And I'm sorry, but I don't have another company I can refer you to.
Old 07-27-2015   #18
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Well, okay, if no Mineral how about an RRT Customer Club card - after 10 shuttles you get the eleventh free?
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #19
cedar city, Utah
Authorized shuttle companies for Lab Canyon are here:

Moab Area Shuttle Services

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #20
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Happy to have a company like River Runners- peace of mind on the river is PRICELESS.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote