Old 03-07-2014   #1
Fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Desolation Gray trip with young kids

We have an invite for a Deso Gray trip in Early July. I have a son who will be 3 1/2 then and we are trying to decide if it is an appropriate trip for him. He did a bunch of mellow day floats and a few 2-3 day trips last summer (Ruby Horsethief and Flaming George) and those all went fine. He is a year older now and much more self sufficient, but still a 3 year old.

I'm looking for any general opinions on the safety of the trip for that age. Is walking him around the few bigger rapids possible? Any other information or safety concerns would be appreciated. Thanks.

thefrozentundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #2
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I have a four year old daughter who loves to go on multi-day river trips. We considered deso-gray for her. But I worry more about the black bears and mosquitos than the rapids. Maybe next year.

Bigdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #3
We've been taking our kids on river trips since they were toddlers. Deso is a fine trip for that. Depending on your level of boatmanship, you may want to walk the kids around a couple rapids (easily done).

The bigger issue is making sure you watch them like a hawk in camp. Water is a strong attractor. We always made sure that there was an adult with the sole responsibility of watching the kids. We made them wear life jackets near the water, didn't let them play on the boats, and sought out camps with a gentle beach with calm water (though that's not always possible).
alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #4
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Heat & mosquitos may be more of an issue on Deso in July that the rapids. My friends grandkids started on the Main Salmon at 4 years old. +1 for assigning an adult to watch them in camp.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Deso in early July could be a bug nightmare.
I have done it once in mid June with kids and they were chewed alive and hid with me in tents to keep from scratching to death.
Safety should not be a problem if you are diligent about watching. is offline   Reply With Quote