Desolation/Gray Permit - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2017   #1

Ridgewood, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 30
Desolation/Gray Permit

Scored a permit on Desolation/Gray section of the Green. Launch date is June 30. This will be my first time on this section. So...Any advice/recommendations for outfitters in Green River or Ouray. Depending on snow pack, levels in late June will be...low teens? Low 20's?
Thanks in advance.

HighBrace

highbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Curious how you already got this since rec.gov still shows a lottery freeze for me and lottery date of 2/15?
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017   #3

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I was wondering the same thing I just checked my email and Recreation.gov. And it's still showing freeze. I'll take Deso but am still hoping for the Yampa or Gates of Ladore.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017   #4

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
I'm still frozen. Unless it is releasing the successful ones first????
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017   #5

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
Dammit you might be right. That never even crossed my mind.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
I got a spot on San Juan, and when it said the results were released on 2/12, they were released exactly on 2/12, electronically.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #7

Willimina, Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Re: Deso Gray There is a lot of soil moisture this year so mosquito repellant through Jacks creek
Old 02-15-2017   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
June 30 is late for runoff unless we have an unusually wet and cool Spring, so most of your water will come out of Flaming Gorge (+ whatever is left coming down the Yampa and White). You can check Flaming Gorge releases on several different websites, links also in other threads here on Mountainbuzz.
I'd guess you can count on 6k, maybe up to 8 or 10 if still in runoff melt mode. All are great levels, almost all rocks covered up and good current.
No outfitters in Ouray (also no alcohol - Ute reservation) and the only outfitter left in Grim Reaper is Holiday. They flirt with renting gear to private boaters but are really set up as commercial, offering trips on Gray-Des, Cat, Westwater, etc. Closest place to rent boats and outfit is Moab, try Canyon Voyages.
Happy to help w/yr logistics (you're in NEW JERSEY?) if you PM me. Congrats on the permit, I got skunked (again) but have had no problems past few years picking up August cancellations. 'Skeets will be out at least to Jack's as Gary says above, but you can take steps to mitigate. Take care!
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #9

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Maybe I was right about the Emails first, this morning I get the "unsuccessful" in rec.gov. I've been able to pick up cancellations in early June the last two times but always like the lottery gamble.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #10

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrace View Post
Scored a permit on Desolation/Gray section of the Green. Launch date is June 30. This will be my first time on this section. So...Any advice/recommendations for outfitters in Green River or Ouray. Depending on snow pack, levels in late June will be...low teens? Low 20's?
Thanks in advance.

HighBrace
Give these guys a try. They can hook you up.
http://www.riverrunnerstransport.com/
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote