Old 06-06-2016   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Desolation Deso High water camps, Rapids?

Hello, I going to be putting in 6/9 and its expected to be around 20,000+ CFS. I got little kids with me. Can anyone recommend some good camps and or rapids to be mindful of at this water level? Do people think the bugs will be bad? Thanks!

Aarondenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #2
cedar city, Utah
I would wager the bugs have not arrived yet as we are seeing a peak or they will be flushed out in the coming days. That said the regional rivers had a first peak a few weeks ago and then a drop. Its been a weird few weeks to predict. Looks like you will see a forecasted peak around 27k if the trend keeps up .

Many of the Deso camps are good if not better at higher water due to the benches they form. Just don't plan on many sandy, unnamed beaches to be around.

Scouting is highly personal. At a minimum for a first time trip I would recommend: Steer Ridge, Joe Hutch, Wire Fence & Three Fords (just walk to both from Wire Fence camps), and Coal Creek. Even though we read and run everything in Deso after 15-20 trips those are the ones we scout with people new to Deso on the oars and especially with kids.

Have a great trip. Many of the rapids become a little easier at these levels as the "sneaks" open up noticeably. The river miles can go fast until you encounter Deso's infamous winds, which hit pretty reliably in the afternoon.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #3
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Just what Phillip said. Steer Ridge is a good scout because it's a first "real" rapid and for new boaters it's a good test. Scout is on the river left, don't miss it.

Joe Hutch scout is on the river right, it's a good idea to scout it as well. Both rapids are ran on the river left, straight forward wave train, enter on a V and enjoy the ride.

Deso does get easier at higher flow, a lot of rapids will wash out, so in my opinion the low 20s cfs is very family friendly.
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Thanks I appreciate your comments!
Aarondenal is offline   Reply With Quote