Old 04-20-2014   #1
desolation canyon wire fence

Thinking of a lay over day at wire fence with a high school group. Are there any hikes out of this camp??? As well I recall not so much...

tonyh124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Hikes from Wire?

I've attached a photo of a hike from Wire Fence camp. It is not mine but sent from a friend. You can see down to the Wire Fence camp on river right at the bend in order to get perspective. Looks like you can probably just pick a summit and then go cross country to your destination. An easy hike is to go over the hill and downriver from camp to get to the cliff directly over the entrance to Three Fords rapid. A cool view. there is also a geocache 10 minutes out from camp that had airline-size bottles of booze in it as "prizes". Cool find but probably want to keep those High- Schoolers out of that.
Have a great trip-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	618.7 KB
ID:	8208  

kwagunt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #3
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Also, the first Wire Fence camp is great for practicing swimming the river and the current lines. It has a huge eddie and it's pretty safe, plenty of time to get the swimmers out of the water. When we had a lay over day there, we didn't do hikes, but put up a zip line and practiced throwing ropes, swimming eddie lines, buddy assisting and diving. Great day in the water!
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
I like the lower camp at the foot of the rapid, for playing in the river. You can hike a boat back up to the top of the rapid and run it over and over. It's a good place for flip practice. If your into hiking, you can hike for miles out of there. I'm getting ready to head out for a High School trip and that is where we plan to spend our layover day.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote