Old 04-12-2015   #31
cedar city, Utah
2012 flows stayed above 1k on Deso for quite a while, which is plenty of water. It has about 2k until the 20th or so, which is a fun level.

The picket fence on Joe Hutch definitely shows its teeth but it totally doable. And it could have mellowed out in the last 2 years as it is still in a dynamic state considering how recently it developed.

In a lot of ways I find low water Deso trips more fun. So many of the rapids in there mellow out at higher flows while low water keeps you busy and on your toes more once you pass Jack Creek.

Just know some of the camps are harder to access at lower water do to gravel bars or steep sand benches. Those are supplemented by many that get better.

Have a great trip.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015   #32
Paddling Since: 1980

Tteton - Lots of great advice - I'd pay attention to getting that inexpensive permit to camp on Indian land river left. If you're not rigging and camping at Sand Wash the night before you're going to have an even longer first day - 25 miles of a LOT of rowing - throw potential wind and Tamarisk clogged banks and the start might not be fun.
Melanie at RRT is fabulous - and they're worth every time for the shuttle.
The only advantage is you may be ahead of the skeeters - even Alaska can't compare with those at Sand Wash - tczues may be in for a June surprise. (I counted 72 bites in one ankle in 2011 and I reeked from bug spray.)
Restrac2000 was spot-on about wind - it can blow you backward in the middle of a rapid - I was wishing I had a helmet with face shield because of spray blowing off the river - we couldn't even set up tents until after dark waiting for a lull in the gale.
Be really cautious about bears - we had lots of tracks all through our camp at Range Creek - we packed up the kitchen and trash after dinner and made sure we had clean clothes in our tents - still had tracks on the boats in the morning. This is an interesting read: Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune
I like Nefertiti for my last night on river - it has a restroom!
All that said, you'll love the side canyons, creeks, and petroglyphs. I hope you come off river saying there wasn't any wind, skeeters or bears!

DarrylH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #33
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Wanted to add this in case others weren't aware -

On the Deso permit you don't need to add names, unlike Dino and Salmon ones. You only need to add up the total number of people and number of watercraft, and eventually pay before you go.

But DON'T print the permit on the web site until it's finalized and you're getting ready to leave. Once printed you can't add anyone to the permit.

So for instance, not naming names, but if someone from Colo Springs gets a Deso permit, signs up only him and his cat, and then prints it - he's going by himself....

Hope this helps.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #34
Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
Thank you so much for that permit info. I would be the type of person to screw that up somehow!
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #35
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
What's the deal with the Ute permit? Do you have to call? I can't seem to find a functioning website.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #36
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by melted_ice View Post
What's the deal with the Ute permit? Do you have to call? I can't seem to find a functioning website.
Their standard site does seem to be down right now. I hope that is temporary as its was a great tool. I used it last year with ease.

Old 04-16-2015   #37
cedar city, Utah
The website that is down is explicitly for the tribe's Fish and Wildlife Service.

Here is the website for the tribe and provides contact information for the FWS. Might be best to call them to find a solution until their website comes back online. Best of luck.

Fish & Wildlife

Old 04-16-2015   #38
Paddling Since: 1980
Ute Tribe camping

As mentioned by restrac2000, the website mentioned in (Desolation Gray - Green River Permit, UT) is not functioning. The east side of the river, above Coal Creek is Ute Tribal Land. Hiking and camping on Ute lands is allowed with a permit from the Ute Tribe. The tribal website is Home - The Fish and Wildlife Division Fisheries Department is at the Ute Plaza Grocery Store, located at 7750 E. US HWY 40, Ft. Duchesne, Utah 84026. (435) 722-3282. Also under Recreation they have a phone number listed as (435)722-2249. Most of the camps are on the west side of the river - a couple of years' ago I stayed at Chandler Canyon - nice camp with a beautiful stream running down the canyon - there's actually road access there.

DarrylH is offline   Reply With Quote