Old 02-15-2016   #1
McCammon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Deso permit

Drew a permit for Deso in Aug, really have a good time on this float. Not internet or phone and time away in beautiful country with good friends.

FishingAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #2
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
I got a May 5 Launch.

tczues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #3
Montrose, Colorado
Can you increase the numbers on the permit after you claim it? For example, can you claim it saying "one" person so you only have to pay the $25, then once you have a firm headcount purchase the actual number of spots later?
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #4
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
As long as you don't print that thing you can add/remove numbers. If removing, you won't get any money back if its within 30 days of launch. Pretty sure that's how it worked.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #5
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Ya always confirm with $25 1 spot for Deso, then add people once everyone is confirmed. I've changed mine a week prior to the trip to the full amount. June 14 for me, first time I ever won a lottery....failed on all the rest though
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #6
Montrose, Colorado
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
Ya always confirm with $25 1 spot for Deso, then add people once everyone is confirmed. I've changed mine a week prior to the trip to the full amount. June 14 for me, first time I ever won a lottery....failed on all the rest though
A friend of mine won for a couple days before you, and is taking a group of Boy Scouts down. Wanted to secure the permit, but not pay the full price until a more firm headcount was given.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Early season Deso

Got an April 24th launch for Deso and am going to give early season a go! I've done June and July trips and have seen 1500, 5k,10k, and 20k CFS, so not worried about the water level much.

My question is - what should I expect from an El Nino year as far as temps and water level? Any ideas? Also, any boaters that struck out this year want to join!?
micronam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Directly from Deso permit confirmation email.

If you cancel your reservation at least 31 days prior to your entry date, all reservation fees collected will be refunded. The $6.00 transaction fee is non-refundable for all reservations. If you cancel your reservation 30 days or less prior to the entry date, none of the fees will be refunded.

No Show Policy:
If you do not cancel and decide not to use your reservation, none of the fees will be refundable. Please cancel your reservation if you are unable to use it as this opens quota space for others.

Reservation Changes:
Changes to a reservation can be made any time provided that you have not printed your permit.

Change in the number of people while keeping the same dates: If you are increasing your party size, $25.00/person reservation fee will apply. Decrease in group size at least 31 days prior to the entry date, the per person reservation fee will be refunded for the number of people reduced.

Change in the entry date: Cancel your current reservation and reserve the desired date(s) if space is available. Reservation and transaction fees will apply to the new reservation.

Make changes, confirm group size or cancel reservations through the web at or call the NRRS reservation line (1-877-444-6777).
The permits can be printed online through your Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - account.
The system will allow you to print your permit as soon as you complete your reservation. It is always recommended that you only print your permit, once you are sure that you will not be making any changes to your permit or will not be cancelling your permit.

Please note that once you print your permit, the system will not allow any changes to your permit. If you decide to cancel your permit after it has been printed then there will be NO REFUND."
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016   #9
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
As someone who has organized multiple Deso trips, I would wait as long as you can to firm up your list and make the changes beyond the required $25 for 1. Meet in Vernal the day before put-in, and find out how many actually are coming. I generally believe people are really coming when I see them standing at Sand Wash. Keep that in mind when it comes to mandatory gear.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016   #10
Paddling Since: 1980

A couple of thoughts for Deso-Gray in the spring. Micronam asked about weather & water levels. It will probably be somewhere between 62-72 in April, getting warmer the closer you get to Green River. Nights will be cool.
Water levels should be rising, we've had a good winter and I would guess the river will be running 6-9K cfs.
Call Melanie at River Runners' Transport for shuttle 435-781-4919, 800-930-7238 She's terrific. (It's a long self-shuttle.)
Web Page: "Self-guided, full support river running and white water rafting adventures: safe shuttle services, full or partial support river trips available, and complete, delicious meals are prepared. Whitewater river trips include: Gate of Lodore, Lower Yampa
If you haven't reserved one of the screen 'cabins' at Sand Wash put-in, do it now! Of all the places I've been, including Alaska, I've never seen mosquito's like at Sand Wash. Ravenous.
Most of river left (east) above Coal Creek is Ute Tribal Land. Hiking and camping on Ute lands is only allowed with a permit from the Ute Tribe.
You must hold a valid, BLM Desolation Canyon Permit prior to obtaining the Ute Tribal Permit. Ute Tribal permits may be purchased online at:
Canyone Camping Permit
Bears have become a real problem - each of the last few years' we've had tracks in camp or on boats.
Have a great ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green River - DesoGray2011 006.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	11048  

DarrylH is offline   Reply With Quote