Old 04-25-2016   #1
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Deso May 31st launch beta

Pulled a high-water deso permit for May 31st. We've done this trip right around this time during a dryer year (2014 I think) but I'm wondering what it will be like this year - probably closer to conditions of last year. Anyone fare to provide some input on what to expect - especially from bugs.

We know a lot of the camps become significantly smaller - and that was during a dryer year.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #2
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
From what I've heard the bugs are worst at lower waters, due to pools of standing water. I wouldn't be concerned about em.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I did Deso last week and there were pretty much no bugs. Some flies and a few mosquitos but nothing like it gets when its bad. I've also heard they come after the peak, since the high water fills the pools where their eggs are laid and then they hatch after the water recedes.

Our run was relatively low water (started at ~4500 and checking the gauges after the trip says it got to around 8-9k cfs), so I can't comment on the size of camps other then noting that Rattlesnake's beach was notably tiny compared to other years.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016   #4
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Read_n_run, we will be 2 weeks after you, but you will be going at perfect time. Water will still be climbing up so no bugs. Camps will still all be there, just smaller landing areas. Rapids will be mostly washed out and easier. Joe Hutch should have a perfect tongue down on the left off center. You will have a great trip with some current!

This is our trip last year with named rapids at 12,000 cfs. Expect your level to be about 17-21k though.

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016   #5
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
We ran Deso that same week last year- hit the high water spot on. Per the ranger, as long as it's still rising, no major bugs. If it never exceeds 18K- mellow bug year. When it crests the banks, you get stagnant pools of water that give the bugs places to breed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote