Old 05-07-2015   #1
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Deso level predictions - July

I'm following the flows on the green and wondering what folks predictions are for what it's going to look like for early-mid July.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015   #2
cedar city, Utah
Between 1-2k like 2012 and 2013. I would plan on closer to 1k.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015   #3
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Ya definitely low this year, really depends on when Flaming Gorge dam will stop dumping. I am assuming Yampa will be done by early June, so the main source of water will be the dam. Minimum they release is 850cfs, plus White river a couple hundred cfs and then Yampa.

So ya 1-2k is about right.
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015   #4
cedar city, Utah
going to be an interesting year.

Current estimate for larval emergence is May 16-21.
planning on releasing above powerplant capacity (~4,600 cfs) to full bypass (8,600 cfs) to achieve those goals.
They have been at most five days off with their estimates so the peak from the Green this year will be done before the end of May. Inflow is forecasted to be around 60% for June and July so they aren't gonna have much extra to spill out of FlamingGorge once they meet their endangered species requirements.

Yampa inflow? Hard to know for sure but it appears to be peaking a month earlier than normal (which seems to be the norm across the west this year). Here is the recession graph for the Yampa basin, looking grim, though their data ended on the 5th so who knows what this storm is doing to the snowpack.

Deso is fun at low water. Some of the rapids get punchier, like Three Fords. More sand beaches. The flow to me is actually slowest in the mid ranges and about average at low water. Biggest issue are the shallow around places like Dripping Springs which can sucker you into poor lines and dragging for a while.

Will be interesting to see what the rocks in Joe Hutch have done now that we are years out from the flash and some average to high water years have had the chance to rearrange them. They should be exposed enough to give an idea. Hopefully the picket fence in there has opened up a bit as it wasn't a problem during lower water last year but it didn't get much below 2k when we floated in the autumn.

Have a great trip!

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote