Old 02-28-2015   #11
Jenks, Oklahoma
I agree the road (if you drove slow), was ok. Trip was mid June.

We got to the put in early after lunch.

Down by the river biting mosquitoes swarmed in big time. I have several BWCA trips and these Utah bugs make the State Bird of MN look like a pickup basket ball team playing NBA all stars. I had on a head net and serious deet on my hands. Long sleeve thick material shirt and pants tucked into thick sox. Wanted hands free to rig the raft. If I stopped moving my hands bugs would look like fur on my arms. Would not believed it had I not been there.

Trip leader had reserved us two screened in shelters up on top (do not get the ones down the hill). These shelters are a must have if camping there.

Next day we were up at daybreak. Quick breakfast of coffee and danish and off we went. Bugs were a problem during final rigging and when the rafts stopped even middle of the river. We checked out a bunch of camps but finally found fewer bugs a good distance down stream.

We had several screened in cook tarp setups which I recommend. We had camp bug issues on the top part. Not a problem on the lower.

I really enjoyed that river. We had the spring flood CFS and not much rowing, just a steering stroke here and there. Have not been back due to the bugs. If I did go back I would have a full body mesh bug suit setup

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #12
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Bugs are bad at the put-in, better down river, and usually not so bad by August. Wife and I used a mosquito net over two Roll-o-cots, very comfy.

Bears in some campsites last year, plan accordingly for food and trash. Found some camps on sand bars with a nice evening breeze. We set up chairs and umbrellas in the water when the heat got real bad. Look out for campsites with southwest facing cliffs, they become ovens and radiate heat all night.

The fly back shuttle is great, awesome flight over the canyon. Get the screen cabins at the put-in or wish you did. I usually need to wear a head net while rigging.

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #13
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I wouldn't consider an august trip on Deso without an umbrella or bimini top for the boat. You will need some portable shade that can be quickly dropped when the wind blows. A trigger sprayer is nice for misting each other in the heat.

Dutch ovens and BBQ cooking suck in 100 degree heat, cook should get hazard pay to work over hot coals. Heavy meals were not popular in the heat, cold pasta salad was a big lunch hit. Hydration can be tough, we bring electolytes and mix them up with juice at breakfast. Note: hydration is serious, too much alcohol and not enough water in that heat got one of our group very sick very fast.

River is too silty for filters, bring drinking water. Settle river water overnight in buckets for dishes and bathing.

Great trip, worth the bugs and heat.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #14
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
My understanding of the mosquito pattern on Deso/Grey is they are most prevalent after the river drops leaving breeding pools. So the most predictable misery typically occurs after the spring runoff peak as the river is dropping. These bouts only last so long. But obviously you could get a rain induced spike then drop that could encourage a mosquito breakout. All of my Deso trips have either been before the runoff peak or well after and I have yet to experience the reported mosquitos of "biblical proportions" Green River phenomenon.

As for sun, several of my boating friends have found River Sombreros to be a great addition for Deso trips.

River Sombrero - Shade for Rafts!

They can pop them up and down (too much wind? you don't won't to keep even the ones with the strongest fittings up in heavy Deso wind) very easily. Raft passengers tend to love them.
ledlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #15
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
My 2 cents on Water - I start with enough for 3 - 4 days. There are enough creeks from Rock Creek (approx mile 40) on to filter rest of trip needs without complete refill. I've had it with settled river water and won't do that again unless I have to. I don't like alum, and there can be pollutants in Green River water that are not caught by filters.

ledlights is offline   Reply With Quote