Old 04-04-2016   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
Deso/Gray May 1

Hey there,

I have a Deso/Gray permit for May 1. A few questions for those who have already gone:

What are your thoughts on Dry Suits vs Wetsuits vs Semi-Dry apparel? Basically, I will have people who don't have drysuits, myself included, but I do have access to wetsuits- how much of the time should I resign myself to a neoprene hug?

How bad are the mosquitoes that time of year?

What should I bring that I am not thinking of? What can I leave home?

Do you think we should run our own shuttle or have a company do it for us?

luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #2
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
dont worry too much

I did a late april trip last year and water temp was warm enough to wade in and take a bath. Unless your people are in duckies or are old/young folks I wouldnt worry about it at all.

Where your usual river gear, poly pro kind of stuff.

That is borderline bug season, be ready for it but you may just miss them.

The put in is typically the worst area.

I'm paying the 225 again this year to let river runners do my shuttle. There is also the Redtail Aviation option.

CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #3
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Three rapids to scout- if you had wetsuits or dry gear- those are really the only places you'd want to wear them. It's a pretty mellow river for the most part. We got drenched on one wave- and zero flips.

You should be ahead of bug season. Our ranger told us that if the river never reaches 18-19k cfs, the bug problem is greatly diminished. We had very few- not really a nuisance, and we were a month later than your trip. The bugs hatch from the water that runs over the banks and then stays there dormant for a while. Pre-runoff there are just the normal amount, which isn't that bad.

Use Riverrunners- the drive in kinda sucks. The road isn't that bad- but it's long- and then you have to make the lengthy drive to Green River. Nice to just drive in, rig, and know your vehicles will be waiting. Riverrunners provides that kind of peace of mind- they're pros

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #4
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
On an early May trip, snow on the rim, rain for 4 days straight, be prepared, ditto on River Runners, scout as suggested, enjoy!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #5
C. Springs, Colorado
Ditto on what the others recommend. River Runners shuttle is the way to go. Don't forget the Tiki Torches!! We launch the 7th and I'm not expecting any mosquitoes that early, but I'd still rent one of their screened in building to camp at the put in. You get them on
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I did it last fall so I imagine you will have higher water than I did but I dont remember needing to scout much of anything. I did scout a few rapids but that was more about wanting to get out of the boat and hike around. On the biggest rapid we actually talked our friend into taking the SUP down the rapid, he lasted about 5 seconds and it was a good laugh for all of us.

I heard the shuttle is a bitch so i paid to have River Runners do it, but then again I always pay a shuttle service. The last thing I ever want to do on vacation is drive so its always worth it to me.

Bring TONS of beer and Ice! Twice as much as you think you need!

No need for wet suits or dry suits at all. However I always bring neoprene booties and you will most likely need a rain coat. I didn't have rain/splash pants last time and I wish I had them only bc it rained all day one time and I got cold by then end of that day.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #7
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
We just got off of Deso/Gray on Saturday...we didn't have any mentionable bugs, but did have cold weather on and off. Only one person in our party went full farmer jane, everyone else got by with splash pants and rubber boots (on calm water) and neoprene socks and river booties the rest of the time. Bring layers, it got hot, then cold, then get the picture...

we had a great time, and hope you all do too!

T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote