Old 07-14-2016   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Deso Bug Report

Launching Sunday 7/17 on Deso - Curious if the bugs at the put-in have reached biblical proportions yet or if the worst has past...

Any recent reports appreciated.

mdwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
They were there 2 weeks ago for sure....and it sounds like they are still there a week ago too. I think you'll still see them next week and they probably will stick around for a while until it starts cooling down more at night.

Bring head nets and long sleeve clothing for sure. Tents or a bug net enclosure would go a long way too.

After my experience at the end of June I'll never camp above Jack Creek during bug season again. I know its a super long day of mostly flatwater, but If you can swing it try and get to Mushroom Rock or Cedar Ridge. The ones with bigger beaches and a cottonwood for shade are better then ones with lots of grass and willows. The further down you get, the less Mosquitos are a problem. The middle of the trip had a pretty serious Knat problem. They don't bite, but they are annoying and never leave you alone from Dusk till Dawn (and still are around during the day but not as bad). If its windy and rainy, they get blown away which is nice.

Also, there is a pretty big thread with bug report updates already maybe check that as well. The folks at River Runners Transport are pretty good at giving intel as well.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #3
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Took off on the 10th. Mosquitos were bad at put in and first night at Gold Hole. After that it was only the deer flies that were somewhat bothersome when the "W" wasn't blowing.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #4
Alpine, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2010
I second that!

Originally Posted by melted_ice View Post
Took off on the 10th. Mosquitos were bad at put in and first night at Gold Hole. After that it was only the deer flies that were somewhat bothersome when the "W" wasn't blowing.
Got off river on July 7 and had same experience. Sand Wash was brutal until sun came out which made it bearable just barely. I would try to push past Gold Hole area on first day. We tried a few places above Gold Hole and were chased right back to boats; even in middle of river we were harassed. River was around 12500 at launch so things may be different now.
Buddha09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
We had a July 1st launch, and the first 25 miles were a little rough. If it wasn't for the cloud cover and rain the first day, we would have been pretty uncomfortable due to all of the full length clothing we were wearing for protection from the mosquitoes. I thought they would be better on the water, but they seemed to be just as thick as at the put in the entire first day floating. We brought a nemo bug out tarp shelter, and it was a key piece of equipment during meal times to avoid getting eaten alive at the first camp. Below mushroom rock the skeeters dropped off significantly, and the small flies that replaced them didn't bite. Have fun, even with the bugs the trip was awesome! I would second the head net suggestion, it will make rigging much less painful.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote