Old 08-09-2016   #1
McCammon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Deso Aug 13

We have a permit for Deso this weekend, I was looking for any information that we might find useful. Bears, new rapids, bugs, and water sources? Info on Deso has been kind of scarce on the forum this time of year.

FishingAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #2
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Take a motor. 20-25 miles of flat water, with huge wind potential the first day or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #3
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Rock creek is usually a good water source, bring a filter, if you get some storms though, any side streams could get muddy.
Also see the recent post from Mellanie at river Runners shuttles, the road has been recently graded, which tends to push a lot of very sharp rock to the surface, good quality tires with good spares required, sounds like lots of flat tires lately.
Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016   #4
Gunnison, Colorado
Our group exited Deso / Gray yesterday (Wednesday 8/10/16). We had an excellent trip. The road into Sandwash was graded and smooth - no issues. There were very few bugs at the put-in, and even fewer down stream - bugs were a non-issue. The flow at the time of put-in was around 2K, and dropped slightly for the first few days. We did the trip in 8 days, including 1 layover day, without a motor. There were minimal headwinds on day 1, but we had significant headwinds every day thereafter. We were rowing nearly constantly. We drank less beer than anticipated because when you took time to crack a beer and take a few sips, you were blowing upstream. There was a significant storm around day 5 - we were at Chandler, on the left side - the rain, wind, and lightning were impressive all night. Some upstream canyons blew out out, because the river was extremely brown and very debris filled the following day. The massive thunder rolling from below us, up the canyon, and past us was amazing. There was plenty of beach camping, and we had no rain during the daytime hours. Swimming was great and we spent considerable time in the river. The only oddity was related to the shuttle. Of our group of 4 vehicles, we had 4 flat tires. All were repaired by the shuttle company and our cars were ready to go at the take-out. Upon inspection, there were several more cars in the parking lot with repaired flat tires. My guess is that our cars were shuttled after the big storm and the road to Sandwash was a mess. We plan to call the shuttle company to get the details, as this has not been our normal experience. My recommendation would be to make sure you have good tires and a solid working spare. We did not see any bear, or signs of bear. We saw deer, sheep, and many blue heron. We did not see any ringtail or chupacabra. None of the rapids presented significant concern at the current flow. We took a quick look at Cow Swim, but that was all. We had a group or 8 adults and 7 kids (12-16 in age). All in all it was a blast, but I would consider a motor in the future at flows below 3K.
phamilton2323 is offline   Reply With Quote