Eastside, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Deschutes River (Oregon) Boater pass system

Folks,

As many of you know, reservation permits are released in the following manner:
  • 180 days in advance - 50 % of passes will be released;
  • 30 days in advance - 20 % of passes will be released;
  • 14 days in advance - 15 % of passes will be released;
  • 5 days in advance - 15 % of passes will be released.
OK, I get it. Then when I inquire about when they are exactly released, I am informed by the BLM that they are available on the internet at 1 minute after midnight at "x" days in advance...................
Can anyone explain to me what would be the rationale for this (as opposed to releasing them, say 8-10 AM that morning)? Thanks.

Koffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2016   #2

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Because that's when I'm awake and they know it! Unless you're after section 4 nothing else really sells out, and even that's pretty easy to get, just set your alarm. Midnight Sunday to float the next Saturday. We are floating section 3 and 4 this weekend and I had do just that last weekend.

It works on calendar days not business hours so everything is midnight to midnight. Your boater pass allows you to start floating at 12:01 am. Just remember the limited entry works in your favor. We've gone out on sold out weekends before and hardly seen another boat until the takeout.
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #3

Portland, Oregon
Another question is where does all that money go? For my family of 4 it's $64 in permit fees to do an overnight float.
jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Raft during the week or shoulder season, its a lot cheaper. The fee is increased only on summer weekends to help reduce boater numbers on heavy demand days. The additional $6 weekend fee goes to BLM. The standard $2 fee during the week goes to Oregon State Parks. Simply going Fri/Sat or Sun/Mon would knock $24 off your passes.

All told its a pretty small price to pay when you consider the amount of work keeping 100 miles of river paroled, bathrooms and campsites cleaned up, and off season repairs. You would spend that amount taking your family out to eat for 2 hours. Its well worth my money for the benefit of a fun weekend without having to fight crowds or deal with a lottery system.
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #5

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Raft during the week or shoulder season, its a lot cheaper.
Job, man.

Quote:
The fee is increased only on summer weekends to help reduce boater numbers on heavy demand days.
Sections 3 and 4 sell out all August and September weekends. Price does not impact boater numbers.

Quote:
You would spend that amount taking your family out to eat for 2 hours.
Yeah, and we'd get a meal. A quick glance at boaterpass.com shows them hauling in almost $12,000 in permit fees for just tomorrow. That money is definitely not reflected in the services provided for floaters.

Edit: I guess $12000 is a high estimate because the $8 fee can overlap on sections...
jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #6

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Don't forget the ramp fees to the Confederated Tribes on top of the boater pass fees if you use Harpham or Sandy Beach...

I agree the price feels a little steep to me.
Old 07-29-2016   #7
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
We are going the 2nd week of August to section 1 and 2, luckily leaving on a weekday. Leave on Sunday and our fee total would be 88 dollars, leave on Monday it's 40 dollars. Section 1 is only limited on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Interesting...
Old 07-30-2016   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
That sounds like a real bs going on up there.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #9

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Oregon...make it spendy on weekends so only elites can float. Keep it classy ya damn pseudo progressive hippies
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #10

Eugene, Oregon
Nah, we're just broke as hell as a state. You can't really make much green selling grilled cheeses in the parking lot of the Dead and Co. shows.