Old 03-22-2011   #1
Springfield, Virginia
Denver/Boulder based rafting

Hey everyone,

I'll be in Denver/Boulder area in mid june and I'm looking to do an enjoyable private raft trip as close as possible (within a 1-4 hours drive preferably). I'd like to make it a multi-day trip (2-3 ish). I"m an experienced class V boater but will have some inexperienced people with me in a group of 3-4 so I'd like to keep it class III and under.

Looking for suggestions of all sorts. Rivers, put ins take outs, camps, outfitters... lay it on me. Thanks for the help

rihardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #2
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
There really isn't anything to lay on you as far as multi-day trips near Denver, you need to head out to the western part of the state and Utah. There are many good day trip on the Arkansas and Poudre Rivers though (1 or 2 hrs from Denver). I do multi-day trips on the Upper Colorado (pumphouse to Dotsero) but that is mainly a fishing float with some class II. Not really that exciting. Look into Westwater canyon for 2 day 1 night trip with excellent whitewater. This is out near CO/UT border near Moab.

FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I beg to differ, Frank!
The Arkansas has great multi day opportunities, Brown's overnights can be stretched to include the #s thru Browns and then a day on the Gorge...or a relaxed trip through town down to valle bridge...and Upper C overnights are great for scenery and fishing, even if the whitewater is not TOO exciting. The North Platte thru Northgate canyon is awesome and is about 4 hours from Denver. Great camping at the take out, or even go down to Bennett for a two or three day.
wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Westwater is not much more than 4 hours. ink it up with Ruby/Horsethief and you'll have fun.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You could do a two day on the Cache La Poudre, day one run Upper/lower Rustic (III-IV), camp somewhere in the canyon, then do Stevens gulch (upper mishawaka, lower mishawaka, poudre park, bridges) down to bridges takeout (III-IV(+)). But it isn't a continuous section, there is a class V+ section between day one and two. You'd be car camping not taking your gear down river with you. In fact there are few true multiday runs in CO, mostly car camping in close proximity to sections you could run on back to back days.

Otherwise considering your preferred proximity to Denver the aforementioned Arkansas and upper Colorado are the only real options. The Ark will be near peak flows and a ton of whitewater fun. The Colorado is much more mellow but will probably be a bit less crowded.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #6
x, x
Paddling Since: x
mid june might be the high water month so use the flows accordingly. if you are looking for a class 3 and under multi day I would also recomend the colorado from pumphouse to past state bridge, or gleenwood to newcastle, but if it is high water you will get them done in a day
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #7
There aren't too many full outfitters on the front range, but we rent full overnight raft setups in Boulder.

Nick Wigston
Whitewater Tube Co./CKS Rental Center
1717 15th Street
Boulder CO 80302
open May - August (off season rentals available too)

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote

boulder, rafting