Cataract Canyon September. - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2016   #11
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
No, beta is a brain wave, or a Greek letter!
Stoked it sounds like the river maps guide to cat is out!?

mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2016   #12

Fraser, Colorado
Never really heard that term much till I started spending way to much time on the Buzz.
Old 08-03-2016   #13

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
The new rivermaps book is great - thanks Tom, that had to have been a ton of work!

Beta is definitely a climbing term - the late great Jack Mileski coined it for this purpose.

The Upper Spanish bottom camp is ok. The others all have very steep banks to contend with that i wouldn't want to deal with. There are lots of nice sand beaches after the confluence before the Spanish Bottom camps that would be much nicer, and if you don't have to do a jet boat exchange Brown Betty camp is always the way to go if you want to do the Dolls House hike.

If you are on the Colorado side, there are lots of nice sandbar beaches in the loop area below Sangria Island. I had always done the Stillwater float before this trip, but the low water camping on the Colorado is so much nicer that it'll probably be my choice for now on. We had very few jet boats pass us even over Pioneer Day weekend.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #14

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
"Beta" from the Urban dictionary

Beta
A beta is a male who, instead of being alpha and manning up, completely bitches out. Can apply to many situations, but often refers to scenarios with women.
Guy 1: Bro, hook me up with that girl's friend
Guy 2: Fuck that. I'm going to double up with both of them. Stop being such a beta.
#alpha #alpha male #bitch #pussy #sackless
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016   #15

Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
What is a normal water flow for mid-late September? Anything over 4K still good?
benjaminmw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016   #16

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminmw89 View Post
What is a normal water flow for mid-late September? Anything over 4K still good?
I'd say 5,000-8,000 is pretty typical, unless you start getting some of the October storms showing up early. One cool thing about Cat, is there are no dams for quite a way's up stream, so it is possible to get the kind of fluctuations a free river enjoy's. Have seen 30,000 in early October due to a large rain event, not likely though. You will at least have enough water for a trip, probly low, but still fine.
Old 08-25-2016   #17
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
and with the dropping level of Lake Powell, more of Glen Canyon is being exposed. That alone makes the trip worth the effort.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #18

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
and with the dropping level of Lake Powell, more of Glen Canyon is being exposed. That alone makes the trip worth the effort.
Unfortunately, the receding lake level is mostly revealing sediment in the inlet area and the river muds up as the silt banks calve in to be transported further into the basin. Maybe the beauty is returning, but much further down the lake.
Good current and additional rapids are definite benefits of the decreased lake level. We plan to launch next weekend so I'll try to provide an update after Labor Day.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #19

Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks for the information. Is there a campsite near/at the put-in at Potash?
benjaminmw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #20

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
There are some pay BLM campsites along Potash Road before the boat ramp - Gold Bar is really close. They are very popular in the spring and fall and fill up fast. Not sure if you can reserve them or not. No camping at the ramp.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract, cataract canyon