Old 07-14-2015   #11
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by wayne23 View Post
Info on scouts. Sound good, but I would recommend scouting #3 from river right that's where the run is at 15,ooo

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Dido that,I all ways run big drop 3 on the right, left has to many places for carnage imo.

"Like a bunch of monkey's, trying to fuck a football."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #12
Grand Disfunction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
big wave on the right side of 3 is Brahma and the hole is Frogs hole although they are runable at 15K

to each his own on the run through 3, there are many ways it can be done :beer:

five does have a hole in it, there is both an upper and lower camp there, I prefer the upper if it is available

noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015   #13
Gunnison, 81230
Paddling Since: 2012
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Dido that,I all ways run big drop 3 on the right, left has to many places for carnage imo.
Big Drop 3 Center left (Satans Gut) flipped me a few days ago (13 foot boat with a blown front right chamber) may or may not have made it otherwise. Rooster tail line on the right was the sneak line everyone ran it clean.

I think its nice to run it in sequence and scout 2 and 3 from the left at once. (keep your eyes out for river booty, I found a hand washing station and a few nalgenes -- carnage losses collect in the massive eddy there.)
Erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
At 15000 Stan's gut is the two huge rocks on left bank out of the water. True you can scout both 2 an 3 from left at 2 if you know whats down in third part, if not I would recommend taking a peek at 3 from right side eddy below 2. Scout left an run left at 5000 an below. Have a good trip.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #15
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Results are in..

Just returned from my trip. The info and advice given here was very good and came in very handy. So thank you to everyone that responded.
First lesson learned.. Do not pay attention to the weather reporters because they could not have been more wrong. We had major thunderstorms almost every night.
#5 did have a large hole but was easily missed. #15 and #18 had large holes to avoid. Button hole was huge. Big drop one was awesome with a lot of large waves that were easily negotiated. Big drop 2 Was a easy move from right of niagra to center hitting the large waves straight on with momentum. Big drop 3 was right center with some force to punch a large wave near the bottom. Last several rapids afterwards had some of the most fun wave trains I have ever played in. Current to takeout slows at the end but at night with no wind under the stars made for almost a magical takeout.
P.s... Lots and lots of bugspray was needed for the first two days! Mosquitos were horrible!!
mcguire187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #16
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996

Planning a Sept CAT trip and would like anyone else to chime in about current camps below the rapids and the condition of the Dirty Devil Ramp. Also and flow reports in August about flow below the rapids. Thanks.
durangloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #17
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Dirty Devil camp was unreachable. If you go a mile or more past the rapids plan to row out. We had a hard time finding a reachable beach that was big enough for more than a few tents.

mcguire187 is offline   Reply With Quote

cataract, cataract canyon