Old 08-13-2016   #1
billings, Montana
Carey creek takeout on salmon

I have a trip aug 30 on ms, ive always taken out at carey creek. Should i float diwn to spring bar to avoid road construction?

ptex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016   #2
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We didn't have any issues with road construction including the Manning Crevice Bridge. Granted - we took out on a weekend day so that may change things if you are out during the week.

That being said - the section from Carey to Spring bar looked very nice even with passing some more used public river/beach areas.

Also - spring bar was significantly less busy than Carey - another plus and I would rather float than drive dirt any day.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #3
18' Kodiak
None Ya Creek, The Last Best Place...
Paddling Since: 1996
Great input Read N Run...
Hey ptex1, our launch date is the 30th as well. I'll be there the 28th, lying n wait. Early due to a "free shuttle". But hey, perhaps we'll run into each other. I'll be the old guy looking around for a lost strap or something...

I'm riding on the coat tails, not the Trip Leader or Permit Holder, but as far as I know were pulling out at Carey Creek. FYI.
evL_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #4
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We took out yesterday and it was not an issue. Granted they aren't working on weekends or holidays but the construction is only at the existing bridge. If you don't have the time to go further, Carey is fine.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #5
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
We took-out a few weeks aro

Getting past the const. is no issue. We were unnecessarily worried and decided to take an extra day and go to Spring Bar (you only have to pay for days above Long Tom Bar). Turned out to be a good way to go. Plenty of good camps on the north side away from the road. We stayed RR just out of sight of the bridge and it was less than 2 hours down to Spring Bar on the last morning. Nice and quiet there, no other tripos de-rigging - just a couple of 1-days putting on. For what its worth.
retubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #6
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Took out at Carey yesterday and had no problems with the bridge construction. The construction on the road to McCall was a different story...
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #7
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
we took out on the 18th. didn't have problem with the bridge or the construction by McCall. granted we hit the construction the same time the pilot car flipped around and took our side through. I guess we could have waited about 10 minutes or so in a line.. but even then 10 minutes is not bad.

"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote