Old 08-03-2015   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Bucket boat on the Grand Canyon without a bail babe/bud

I'm ecstatic to have been invited on my first trip on the Grand Canyon of the Colorado, launching mid-september. I'm planning on rowing my boat without a passenger. My boat is a narrow (6'2") 14' DIB bucket, should I consider having someone hop in my boat to bail on the bigger rapids? I don't mind bailing, but can it safely be done alone?

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #2
Cave Creek, Arizona
I bet it could be done, but you will be adding a lot more work for your self. On our trip in 07, me and my friend at the time were riding in a old Avon bathtub. We were both bailing and it was filling up pretty fast.

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #3
Grand Disfunction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
bilge pump, lots of ideas out there just search it
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #4
The GC has been rowed hundreds (or thousands) of times by one person in a bucket boat.

By why? When you have a 12' play cat?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #5
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Ya, bilge pump AND a bucket or 3.

You will learn how to reduce water intake, you will have an appreciation for old school boating, it will be fun, and you will be a better boater for it in the end. Yes it can and has been done for ages, but take advantage of technology and save yourself a shitload of work. If you have an option that removes bailing water from a bucket boat with no passenger, by all means go for it!

BUT, if you can find a suitable passenger to bail and high side for/with you, then you are all set. Remember it is a 3 week trip, having a hand aboard is a good thing both on the water and at camp, not to mention trip prep and breakdown. I do not discourage the solo (in a boat) experience, but just know that it is a lot more work.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks y'all! A canoe style bilge pump would be killer, I'll see what I can dig up on the subject.

The little cat would be a blast, but rowing flat water in the wind sucks on it. Plus I want to be as self sufficient as possible and maybe even carry a little group gear.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #7
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Rig a 12v Rule bilge pump with an auto switch?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #8
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I dunno about the grand...but I've run a little bilge in my 12 ft bucket boat easily enough on a very small 12v battery meant for my fish finder. But it's not pushing a ton of water and only used once the floor has leaked enough to warrant it.

Guess this puts you out for the sept camp trip on the New River? I don't blame you one looks like we may have some schedule changes and might be able to make one work for a different time anyways...
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #9
The Grand is set up pretty well for a bucket boat. The rapids are generally short one move rapids with a few exceptions, and there are literally miles of flatwater after all of them. They also ran bucket boats down the grand for many years before self bailing boats were invented. If that's your only option you'll do fine.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #10
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Ran an 18' Campways bucket through the grand, was alone most of the time (something about my rash being scary)
In any case, never an issue. Carry both big buckets and little ones, you know, so when you have to bail 2' of water out of the damn thing you use the big bucket, and when you're down to the dregs you use the little bucket.

Other than that, beer as ballast and clothes are optional most days.

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote