Old 04-07-2011   #1
port byron, New York
Paddling Since: 2002
best rafting river?

Hey guys!!

According to you what's the best river to raft on out of these 7 spots?

Chattooga River, Georgia
Colorado River (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, California)
Gauley River, West Virginia
Rogue River, Oregon
Salmon River, Idaho
San Juan River, Colorado
Skykomish River, Washington

albina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #2
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
It all depends what you are looking for. Do you want a single day? multi-day? Do you want an easy float, something white knuckle and exciting or something in between? Your experience level also matters when choosing a trip. The type of scenery and landscape that you like is also something to consider.

As a kid, my family started out on the Green River in Desolation Canyon. We then stepped it up to the Rogue and the Snake in Hells Canyon. The Grand Canyon trip will always be my favorite though and I hope to get back in there again. The Gauley is an annual event now, but that river is only for people with previous class V experience.

mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #3
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I would put the Arkansas over any of those. The Gauley is a ton of fun, but it's more on the "extreme" end of the spectrum. A lot of people have died on the river (particularly given its short season) and there isn't an option for a fun, mellow ride. The Arkansas has fun runs throughout every class of whitewater. Personally, I would wait until after the peak of runoff though because the water temperatures become more enjoyable. You can start out with a mellower run like Brown's Canyon and if you like it, you can step up to the Numbers and Pine Creek after that.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
It all depends what you are looking for is exactly right. The Chattooga, Skykomish and Gauley are all excellent single day trips with intense whitewater, where the other rivers are classic multiday rivers with various rapids all the way up to class 4. So what are you looking for? And, if you are in New York, why aren't you asking about the Black, Hudson or the Moose? I can certainly understand a vacation travelling to great whitewater, so if you are interested, get out there and explore!
wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #5
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Also up in the Northeast are the Kennebec and Penobscot in Maine, both are single day trips. If you don't want to hit the class V's on the Penobscot, you can join the raft trip below for a class IV trip.
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #6
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I personaly love the rogue river. It seems to me it has everything. Easy day floats to more extreme day floats. It also has the classic multi-day trip that can be a quick 3 day float or you can turn it into a 5 day trip with hikes or relaxation. Truly all rivers are great I think what makes a good river trip is the people you are with and being on the water.
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #7
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
My thoughts from best to worst, Everyone should go to the Chatt or Gauley and just boat those rivers for the rest of thier lives. If you can't swing the awsomeness of the east coast, the San Jaun would be my 2nd choice for eveyone. If you must miss out on all the greatest whitewater then check out the Rogue or the Sky. Youre just wasting your time by coming out here to Idaho. Everything worth while is permitted and rednecks will shot at you with thier guns. Its just too much work to row in Idaho. Hope to see ya ALL on the east side. ;-}
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #8
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to CFlem18
I really love the majestic remote nature of the Chattooga, not too many like it in the Southeast. I agree that this is largely due to preference, and I am bias based that I guided on the Chattooga.
CFlem18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #9
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by albina View Post
Hey guys!!

According to you what's the best river to raft on out of these 7 spots?
Do you smell something funny? One post clickable link to magazine article.
That should answer that question.

Not going to click cuz I don't like to be fooled.

Come back and tell us more about your experience, family if any and anything else.

I think you should run them all and then decide on your own.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #10
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Payed per click??? I wonder how many sites this gets posted on?

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote