Mountain Buzz banner

Best over night fishing trip?

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  802flyfish 
#1 ·
Looking to go on a week long fishing trip next spring/summer. I've heard some great things about the different branches of the flathead. Anyone have suggestions on places within a few hundred miles that offer great fishing and awesome scenery. Trying to find something that will be class III tops, don't want to get over my head as I'm fairly inexperienced.

Thanks

#4 ·
A few years back a group of us rafted the Middle fork of the flathead (fly in trip) and the south fork of the Flathead (15 mile hike in trip). On the South fork trip our rafts and gear were packed in by mules with an outfitter.

Water was high as it was late June/early July. We did catch some beautiful cutthroats in every eddy we could get a fly or lure in. I would love to go back in mid to late July and fish it at low water. That trip is on my re-bucket list.

The South fork is not difficult water at all and you could spend as much time as you want once you get there. Logistics are kind of complicated, getting in and out. Depending on the size of your group, packing gear in on mules can make sense and you can take small rafts or IK's.

#5 ·
The south fork is awesome - we did it in 2007 in mid july at low water and fishing was epic. There are several routes in, ours was supposed to be 25 miles but we ended up putting in on Youngs creek 13 miles up from our originally planned put in as the packer caught us earlier than expected. It was awesome, Youngs creek that is...but LOW. There is a canyon that was very difficult, lots of dragging and getting stuck but totally worth it. When I do it again (also on my re-bucket) I'll spend more time up there and blast out the lower few days of the southfork as it was fairly crowded with hikers and pack trips. We had the upper 30 miles to ourselves. Absolutely awesome trip but definitely a logistical puzzle.

My guess is from your other posts 802 that you're not thinking so much overnight boating but more of a car camp, fish a lot kind of thing...

There are many tours of Montana that you could do at different times targeting different types of fishing (or hatches). You could easily spend a week on the Bighole floating the various stretches. It gets several minor hatches in the spring with the capper being one of the best salmon fly hatches anywhere in late May early June. I've spent most of a week chasing them up river. There are also hatches on the Madison that coincide so you could add time there or just adjust plans to where the bugs are...we've typically called may through early july the salmon fly tour. Every where from the Yellowstone, upper and lower madison, big hole, upper gallatin, (can't fish from a boat), blackfoot and others all get good hatches if the water is fishable... it's always a crap shoot and best to be flexible and go where the bugs are. Don't trust the fly shops get first hand beta from other fishermen if at all possible.

If that all falls through there is usually good hatch of mayflys on the missouri (below the dams) at the same time so that's always a good fall back.

Earlier in May there is the caddis hatch - I usually focus on the lower madi or the yellowstone for that. It's not as long of a hatch but can be world class (again if the water is fishable). Earlier yet are the midge and BWO hatches. From march up to the caddis hatch - every where, all rivers. Can actually be the best fishing of the year.

On overnighters the Smith can be awesome fishing and it can be tough...again depending on water. But it's a must do while your here either way. My suggestion is to go early - april to early may. After that the water blows out or it gets next to impossible to get a permit. Fishing after peak season is usually down with warm water and moss growth.

There are plenty more options, just get talking to other fishermen, meet some folks and you'll want to spend your whole summer on that "one week trip". I did that 20+ years ago, and it only finally "ended" when my first kid popped out 8 years ago. My "12 year" tour was awesome. I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

#6 ·
Gunnison Gorge

Chucker Trail is a hike but not bad as a put-in. Then spend at least two nights to float/fish down to Pleasure Park at the confluence. Logistics are tough, but pending flow the canyon is great for small rafts and IKs. Search the threads to see pictures of Cable rapid and huge fish.

#7 ·
I floated the NF of the Flathead (Ford to Blankenship) late last summer as a backup plan for our Smith permit. It was awesome. Didn't see anyone until the last day. We had 10 guys on 5 rafts. 3 of the rafts had inexperienced oarsmen, and after a day of "getting the hang of it," they were fine. We had to drag a few times, but that was expected.

In addition to new oarsmen, we had new fishermen. The cuts were plentiful, and eager to take anything. Most were in the 10-14" range, but a few larger were caught.

I know the NF is not "within a few hundred miles," but you asked about the Flathead.

#8 ·
I see 802's profile says Colorado, but in another recent thread he stated he just moved to Bozeman... that would be helpful to clarify but I guess I just assumed he was talking MT. At any rate, I agree! The NF is awesome. I did that with the fam a few years ago over the 4th. Water was fairly high and off color so fishing wasn't very good but as for scenic - it doesn't get much better. I've heard the fishing can be great, especially below Polebridge. I'm looking forward to my next trip up there.

#9 ·
Elkhaven: we put the rafts on a tributary, don't think it was Young's, about 5 miles? maybe from the point where the South fork officially starts. Had at least 6 portages on that creek and a few when we hit the main south fork. Long day.

We hiked in from a trailhead north of Ovando. Would really like to get back there

#16 ·
We also went in from Ovando, up Monture Creek. We actually put in at the confluence of Babcock Cr and Youngs Cr. The other half of the SF is Danaher Cr and I believe I heard there was a way in down it as well. Youngs creek has a narrow canyon that is very rocky (big angular blocks everywhere). So it was hard to float, you mostly bounced off things for about 3-4 miles. Then it opened up and was much easier for the last 4-5 miles before the confluence. We only had 2 portages, one about 4 miles below our put in and one on the main river. But the upper 10 miles of the float on Youngs cr took us 2 very long and exhausting days...3 total to the confluence, which is where we were supposed to put (3 days before). So we covered a bunch of miles on day 4 to get partially caught up. We spent 9 days, including the two hiking in. The plan was to hoof the whole way into confluence or wherever the packer caught us, but my brother from Seattle got heat sickness pretty early on in the hike (it was 102 degrees at the trailhead) so we had to stop a ton and cool him off. Hence the packer catching us a dozen plus miles higher than planned. He was awesome, while we were rigging he rode down the creek 5 miles and reported the one log jam. He felt below that jams would be less likely, but warned us about the canyon, saying it would be slow going. It's not nasty white water, just skinny, barely fitting through places at generally slow speeds. It was exhausting but awesome at the same time.

#13 ·
So my girlfriend and I talked it over and she would rather have a raft at this point to do some white water rafting at times, but she feels more comfortable learning on a raft then a DB. I'm totally fine with it, since she said we could get a DB next summer or fall haha.

#17 ·
This is a great reason to go raft - it wasn't part of your initial introduction or I would have suggested raft from the start. Rafts are much more forgiving to learn on. My wife learned when we had both and she much preferred the raft. She'd row the DB, but was always nervous as hell about hitting stuff. Good luck.

#23 ·
it will undoubtedly float higher. It will be a better low water boat. More capacity with a higher draft but wider. In either case you will be floating 3-4 inches higher than you would have in a drift boat. Neither will have any problem going any where you want any time of year. I too would buy a D boat over one of the puma's (for the reasons mentioned above). and like osseous, I'd also go 14' It will not change at all where you can fit, but will hold a lot more gear with less draft on over-nighters and just float higher when you're just fishing. Win-Win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.