Old 04-06-2015   #1
Carnation, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
August flaming put it to split mt

wanted to putin at the dam as part of my lodore trip. I know the flow will be low. This is a very long drive for our group so wanted to add something more to just 4-5 days on the lodore

this is a first part of august trip so a high water trip advice is not on topic. I also understand if this is your backyard river you might not do this. But this is probably the only run I will do on this section in my lifetime

1. willing to put up with some hardship but how bad would it be?
is their any flow in the last 20 miles?
2. Planning to do 4 days (4th day ends at lodore putin)
3. recommendation for shuttle service that will do this from flaming to split mountatain.
4. how is it for the bitting bug that time of year?
5. How hot are we talking over 95 every day?
6. A informal or not, camp spot very close to the putin the night before. A spot for 8 that is easy for a group find (most live over 1000 miles away)
7. camp spot of the lodore section (mostly which are the ones that are to be avoided)

RutRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #2
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Sounds like a great trip to me. There are lots of campgrounds near the Flaming Gorge dam put-in. Mustang Ridge is close by & huge. Deer Run is also close by and good sized. These are both formal campgrounds that you reserve on For shuttle, I'd give Melanie at RRT in Vernal a shout.

Have fun & bring your own shade!

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Last year the release was good when I floated in August. The weather was very comfortable. 80s mostly. The camps have lots of shade so we never even set up the shelter. I think I went towards the late part of Aug. I think floating to the put in would be a good addition but I think there is a permit that you need to have to do that. Also make sure you have your mandatory gear in order. The one I was surprised about was an extra pfd per boat. Also Z drag and splints in you first aid kit. And a certain number of throw bags also.
It's a great float and I think worth the drive. All the camps I saw were great. And I can't remember any bugs. It is a fantastic trip.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #4
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ran gates only last oct, one of the coolest hikes i think i've done was rippling brook, there is a nice waterfall at the end ,that would be kick ass in august.Great shade at the camp to. Don't think iv'e seen a section of river in that pristine condition before, maybe some the N.P.S.'s policing has helped. River runners out of vernal does a good job with shuttles.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #5
CRG, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1978
Did that float last September with 2000 csf being released from the dam, also doing the long drive from the NW--we got to the Flaming Gorge area very late and stayed in a motel. Driving in there were more wildlife on the road than we saw on the river so drive careful.
At the put in no rigging on the ramp--you have to organize and drive your raft down to the ramp
We only had 2 days before our Lodore permit so power rowed the 46 miles from the dam--could do about 3.5 mph but the last 20 miles was a slog. Seemed some of the section C campsites were overgrown or not very accessible or unattractive drive in sites.
Some quirkiness about floating into Lodore from above..
--requires a play permit and they only issue one per day so call for it early-
--not allowed to float to the Lodore ramp before 2 pm
--Rangers are pretty picky so read the rules (monument starts about 2 miles above the ramp)--better be wearing your life jacket when you arrive at the ramp, no matter how hot and flat
River Runners Transport for the shuttle for sure
You can do another 70 miles from Split Mountain to Ouray (160 milies total), if you want to make your long drive worthwhile but not that great a float and not recommended if bugs are out
runnerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #6
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
just got off lodore. Was thinking the same. You will save fuel as the shuttle will be way shorter. As far as the rest of your questions, can't help, but I think adding some miles upstream would be great, especially if you fish. Follow the rules of course
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #7
Paddling Since: 1980
Green River

All good advice - my 2 cents.
1-Flow will be quite low but is dam controlled and typically comes up rapidly for power generation late in the day - don't be caught unaware.
2-Some delightful camps immediately below Little Hole - if I remember, you pull into Little Hole and put your name on the first-come list.
3-Only use Melanie at RRT - she and her husband are terrific. "Self-guided, full support river running and white water rafting adventures: safe shuttle services, full or partial support river trips available, and complete, delicious meals are prepared. Whitewater river trips include: Gate of Lodore, Lower Yampa
4-There won't be any bugs in Aug.
5-You'll be hot.
6-Right after you turn off of 44 onto 191, look for Greendale (left) no reservation - it's walking distance to Flaming Gorge Lodge/Store/Cafe. Firefighters Memorial is the next camp (right) reservable, followed by Deer Run (showers) and Cedar Springs (both left) both reservable.
7-On Lodore, avoid Compromise and Big Island.
--You cannot rig on the ramp below the dam - there's a nice big lot uphill (look on Google Maps - earth view). They're pretty testy about getting off the ramp proper - you can pull your boats to the side-below. Heavy pressure from guides in drift-boats with fishing clients to launch early - I'd recommend avoiding them. I usually get the boats in the water and then drive back up to the parking lot for a load of gear to reduce ramp time - the trail from lot to ramp is VERY steep.
--Bathrooms at the dam put-in, Little Hole, Indian Crossing (Jarvie Ranch), Lodore Ranger Station, Echo Park, and Island Park.
--Pull out at Split Mountain - otherwise you'll have a long row/roast ahead of you with nothing to show for it but boredom.
--Let me know if you want my spreadsheet with notes on rapids, distances, and run suggestions. Have a great trip. Darryl
DarrylH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #8
Salida, Colorado
I understand that that taking a mask fins and snorkel can be amazing for fish watching
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #9
Carnation, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
Thank for the Info this really helps.
RutRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #10
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
It is great! I've done it recommend it. PM me and I'll gladly give lots of details. Have fun!

Fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote