Old 08-13-2014   #1
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Assigned camps on the Rogue

Just curious.

I haven't been on the Salmon lately. Do you think an "assigned camp" type of program would work on the Rogue?

I usually do the Rogue a couple times a summer and my biggest frustration is watching all the commercial gear boats heading downstream to grab the biggest/best camps. I typically have large groups and have gotten caught searching for suitable camps later in the day when most are already taken.

Just took Oregon State's "Boater survey" and it got me thinking.....

Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #2
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I personally would love it. We pulled into a huge football field camp at horseshoe that had a small group (3 boats) and they want it all for themselves. Long story short, we wound up having to row for an extra hour until we were able to find another camp. I hate searching for and then pulling into camp near dusk. On an october trip we had to camp on a small island in the middle of the river because everything else was taken. We had 15 min of dusk remaining when we got our boats unloaded

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #3
Being a shorter mileage trip like Lodore with a set number of days could work quite well on that river.** Or they need to enforce that all groups must stay together.* Youíre absolutely right, having that gear boat truck by you first thing in the morning and then seeing one person napping down there when you pass is BS and isnít the spirit of what itís about.** **Plus you have the added issue there of some camps having toilets vs not.* Sounds like it would be a good idea.***
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #4
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I would be all for it, my biggest stress on the trip is getting the camp I am planning on.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #5
Jackson County, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1979

I asked about assigned camps last summer at the BLM office in Rand and they said they had no plans to implement that kind of system since it was only an issue during a few weeks of the permit season. I'm not sure if they've adjusted their thinking since then. I'd love to see it. It takes the worry out of your day. Until something changes, I've found the only way to combat it, is longer trips. Five short days with no layovers helps you lose the groups you launch with but stay in front of those who launch a day after you. Even then, there's no guarantee you won't be searching for a camp site.

Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
I would be all for it, my biggest stress on the trip is getting the camp I am planning on.
VandyIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #6
Southern, Oregon
It is nice doing trips in the spring when you don't have to worry about it for sure. Bottom line is the larger camps are routinely occupied by commercial trips in the summer because they send a runner. Same with the main part of the foster bar ramp most of the time. Not a big issue if you have small group. Give yourself time and have alternate spots planned. A long push one day with layover is an option etc. I try not to think about because I hate feeling like its a race. I would be interested in hearing the opinions of people who guide on the Rogue.
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #7
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Great idea. I don't like looking for camps after a long day.

Same subject, different river, but I think it's time to start a conversation about camping on the Deschutes as well. Both Deschutes trips this year, I have seen one group using two contiguous camps. The Deschutes was a real free for all, at least on my two trips this year and at the larger sites, Whiskey Dick and Buckskin Mary. First, I would like to see the BLM step up and do their job. I quickly discovered it was a mistake to ask the groups why they were using two sites.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #8
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
bad idea...imho
The Rogue permit/cancellation system is easy, uncomplicated and virtually devoid of regulatory hassles compared to lots of other rivers. Why add to it?
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #9
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by oarframe View Post
bad idea...imho
The Rogue permit/cancellation system is easy, uncomplicated and virtually devoid of regulatory hassles compared to lots of other rivers. Why add to it?

I used to think that way too. Not any more. Every trip I've seen most of the outfitters send gear boats down to save the primo camps. Not cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #10
The BLM can't even keep the punks from breaking in to rigs parked at Grave creek for more than 1hour. I'm not sure they are ready to implement anything that would take extra effort or time. I think that just taking out all the toilets and increasing the reiver patrols would help the situation and level the playing field. I would support a hybrid system like on the Main Salmon but fully assigning camps could be a problem in the windy afternoons. IMHO

oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote