Old 05-10-2015   #11
cedar city, Utah
I threw fishing in on my last post. The primary trip is going to be rafting and IKing with some buddies from Cedar for a weakfish but my father is curious about meeting up for some fishing afterwards.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #12
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
You did, lmyers. It was.

Sent from my Z970 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #13
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Mid July is good for your requested kind of whitewater and fishing-

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015   #14
cedar city, Utah
Late June to early July is looking like it could be bigger water than anticipated considering the snow accumulations from this latest, never-ending storm. I am guessing there is no way to know what flows will look like yet for the timeframe, correct? Any educated guesses? I saw people comparing it to 2010. Time to start looking at graphs.

My buddies have done low water Class II-III so it will be interesting to see how the Ark trip challenges them. I was in their (Browns, Town and Milk) during one big year and just remember it being very swift and few to no eddies to recover though its been so long I may have glossed over the nuances.

Old 05-18-2015   #15
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Even on big water years, the flows in Browns usually drop to around 1000cfs by July 4th. It all depends if we keep getting show and cold temps up in the mountains.

Browns is a nice pool drop section and wont give rafters too much trouble below 2000cfs. It is definitely sporty for a newbie IK'er. When I was a guide, Browns Canyon was our advanced section for customers who want to take down an IK. A good warm up run is from Stone Bridge to Salida if you want before you head down Browns.
CaptBiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015   #16
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014

Does anyone have any info on how th Ark looks right now?

Wanting to go float/fish on Wednesday but have never been down there.

Is the river blown out(clarity)?
Where is the best put-in/take-out for an easier float?

I have a tendency to get nervous before floating a river Ive never been to, so the info is greatly appreciated!

THanks for the help and sorry for the hijack
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listenin' to her enough, or somethin'. I don't know, I wasn't really payin' attention."
FishVailStevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015   #17
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
459 cfs currently- good low level for a first timer. Should not be too off color at that flow- but that could change quickly with one warm day. You row the Eagle, right? Salida east to Rincon is well within your level. Good fishing float without too much traffic. Good ramps at both ends with plenty of parking (take out has a fee). Pretty much read and run- first real rapid by the giant rock on river right is the hardest thing on the whole stretch. 2+

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015   #18
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Even if Brown's is around 1,000 to 1,500 at the end of June, that level is still very friendly as many of the obstacles are under water, and it's not really pushy like it gets around 2,000 and up. I agree the water temps just get nicer the more we get into July. Also the 3-4:00 launch keeps you away from most of the crowds.

Since most of the your experience is in the upper stretch, check it out from Stonebridge all the way to Parkdale for some good variety.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015   #19
cedar city, Utah
Thanks, folks. Looked more at the historic data and not too worried.

In all honesty my buddy is likely going to be better at whitewater than I am in the long run and I bet he will thrive on a medium to high water on the Ark. He is more athletic and goes all out on everything he does.

I cut my teeth on the Ark 12 years ago when I bought my used JPW Cutthroat and travelled CO and UT teaching myself to row so there is some nostalgia to returning there with my wife and friends. Looking forward to the trip.

ark, arkansas, arkansas river