Ark Milk Run Condition at low teens flow? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-04-2016   #1

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Ark Milk Run Condition at low teens flow?

I'm looking for info about the Arkansas River Milk Run from the Buena Vista town put-in down to Fish Bridge with the flow in the low teens. How rocky, 14 & 16 foot rafts being able to maneuver, etc.

I've done the Milk run from BV down at flows in the mid-2000's, but I don't know how much rock is exposed at current levels, about 1300-1500. I need to take some people down this coming weekend. We'll be in 14 & 16 foot rafts with competent rowers, no paddlers.

Thanks.

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2016   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Lots of the rocks will be covered. You'll be fine, David.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #3

Salida, 81201
Don't forget the Silver bullet below BV town put-in. Not sure what it's like at lower levels.
Here's a cut and paste one year ago...

Pretty big. Silver Bullet is cleaner after the rebuild, but still pretty damn big. Plus part of the portage trail washed out again....other than Beaver Falls, Silver Bullet and its runout the rest is a read and run wave train.

Have fun and be safe.
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Silver Bullet portage trail has been rebuilt. The boat chute is now easier than it was. The bottom hole is gone and it's now a big, steep wave train.

At 1300+ on the Below Granite gauge you will have all the small and medium rocks covered, and no gravel bars. Good flow, but I wouldn't count on it holding through next weekend. Weather forecast calls for a drying trend, and there is around 400 cfs being released over native flow. 700-900 seems like a fair estimate for next weekend's flow to me....
Old 07-05-2016   #5

Nederland, Co. nearest town., Either grace or kerfuffled
Paddling Since: 1985
Been many years, but when we used to guide from BV, the dam w/ith boat shoot on right, was scoutable from rock river left next to dam, and when water levels got in 1kish or below, we would not take boat chute but ran spillway. line up, ship oars, and hang on! Was a blast....this was80's early 90's...I prefer staring out browns from BV (we used to put in at ballpark, end of main road thru BV, but I'm sure things have changed. 14's recommended over 16's as rocks begin to surface below 2k, read and run, mostly....widowmaker has must make moves at low water, think you should be fine.
Jungle Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jane View Post
Been many years, but when we used to guide from BV, the dam w/ith boat shoot on right, was scoutable from rock river left next to dam, and when water levels got in 1kish or below, we would not take boat chute but ran spillway. line up, ship oars, and hang on! Was a blast....this was80's early 90's...I prefer staring out browns from BV (we used to put in at ballpark, end of main road thru BV, but I'm sure things have changed. 14's recommended over 16's as rocks begin to surface below 2k, read and run, mostly....widowmaker has must make moves at low water, think you should be fine.
FYI Silver Bullet has been modified at least 3 times since then....
Old 07-05-2016   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Nice the silver bullet got some work, once side surfed my 14'e-series on edge at about an 89 degree angle in that hole, when it was running over 3,000.
Man made stuff is always the sketchiest thing on the whole river.
Old 07-05-2016   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Yeah, I remember dropping over the dam and wondering if I was going to land in a pile of rebar on the other side...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 07-05-2016   #9

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks guys. I really hope the flow holds, I gotta take them.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
For the novice boater, running the Ark at lower flows is superior for helping build technical skills. You should embrace this opportunity to go boating at "suboptimal" flows!

Tags
ark