Old 09-09-2013   #1
Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Anyone going to the Tieton, trying out my new cat

So I am heading over to Washington to the Teiton to take delivery of my new play cat and am going to run the river for a couple of days this coming weekend. Anyone from the buzz going or have run this river before? This will be my first time over.

orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #2
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I used to guide over there. Small paddle boats. Chaos was the order of the day. Couple of places to challenge There is a low head dam you have to go over in one slot, the Waffle Wall rapid and lots of braided channels full of shrubberies. I wore a helmet for that reason alone. Take one wrong channel and you are in the trees.

Lots of fun, but I have never in my life seen so much shit floating down the river. Shoes, paddles, thwarts, a blow up doll, more shoes, a life jacket...

On the weekends the put ins and take outs can be a bit jammed up. And the squirrels in the campgrounds can be relentless. We put peanut butter on a paddle with the handle laid over a rock, step on it when they were on the wide end. We were launching them 60 to 70 feet high in the air. And all you squirrel lovers - we didn't hurt them, they would come back for more.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #3
bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
(note to self-buy extra peanut butter)
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #4
Everett, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Ran the Tieton twice this last weekend. Was an absolute hoot. Took the family, took a swim (twice, same spot).

Ditto on carvedog saying chaos is order of the day. Both put in and take out are tight. Don't block the eddy while you shuttle, only room for one or two boats.

Put in is off Tieton Road. Take out is off of Hwy 12. Most of it is real easy to read from the boat. You can do some scouting from the highway but not for the biggest hits.

You will recognize the big name rapids.

House rock go right, High Noon go right, Waffle Wall (erosion control blocks on right side, you can see the downstream end as you come around a right turn) start middle and try to get left as you go past the left entry rocks, the laterals will push you right and into the wall.

At the "Diversion Dam 500ft" sign take the right hand channel (middle and left have a small bridge over them, only about 2 1/2 feet off of river) Then work left at the bottom, river pushes hard right, try to be about 25ft off of left bank as you go over the dam. Too far left and you go right into a little rip-rap rock wall.

Nice little surf wave under bridge just after the dam.

Take out is just after the 2nd Hwy 12 bridge, start middle right and cut across to left as you go under the bridge, the eddy is pretty small.

Watch for lots of logs and trash as you go. But I wish I could run it again before they turn it off again for the year.
RASIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #5
Olympia, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
I wish we were going again too! I think we should call that" Epic hole" where you went in.
riverinstigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #6
San Juan Islands, Washington
I usually go every year and may head over there on Saturday for a couple days. It's a fun river that you can run every year and not get bored. It's not a hard river but there's very few places to stop, The dam isn't that high (You'll only flip running the right side) If there's enough water try to go over high noon, and be sure to surf the bridge wave.

Typical Tieton traffic

Typical Tieton shuttle

The Sleeping Man

tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote