Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 12-09-2015   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Any ideas for a Christmas Multi-Day that is reasonably warm?

So....did a late season Lodore trip where it got into the teens at night and it wasn't horrible, and I'm kind of getting a hankering to get out of town for Christmas and get on the river. I really don't want to be dodging ice though, so was curious what ideas you guys might have for a 3-5 day trip?

I was thinking a cataract trip since its about the right time length and easy to get a permit and its not too far away for me.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015   #2
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
daily section? ruby? Black canyon below hoover damn sounds awesome for a winter trip. If you do boat significant rapids like cat just make sure you think about risks of a potential swim in december, and be very prepared to deal with hypothermia.

wider sections of river will provide more day light, and of course try to do most of your floating mid day.

Starting to realy dig the winter time boating to, have fun be safe!

"Like a bunch of monkey's, trying to fuck a football."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
I've run Cataract at current levels twice before and the Big Drops are no big deal. As long as you avoid Satan's Gut, which you would have to try and hit, its just straight down the tongue.

As I said, I did an early November trip on Lodore and it got as low as 15 degrees and never really went above 50 in the sun. Definitely cold water and we were all prepared just in case one of us took a dunk and got too cold.

I'll have to look into the Black Canyon (Nevada version...not Colorado)...its quite a drive away though.
Old 12-10-2015   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Rio Grande Big Bend, Verde, AZ Gila Box
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015   #5
The black is a fun trip but its all flat water, like really flat. The hotsprings more than make up any lack of WW. Contact the rental outfits and look in to renting canoe's. They will have to get you to the launch do to regulations anyway. they also run the shuttle. Boy scout is the better hot springs as it's harder to walk in to.

Diamond down is also a viable option although the indian fees are stupid. Keep an eye on the salt and verde as well. I once ran the salt at 25K in the winter... not recommended. One boat Flipped and was lost boat over night.

Rogue is always GTG and Illinois maybe depending on flows. The rain has finally showed up so its on it's way to really high right now.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015   #6
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Grand Canyon!

The Grand Canyon National Park River Permits Office has a few December 2015 river launch dates available via a call-in system.

Starting Thursday, December 10, 2015, the following 2015 launch dates are available on a first-call, first-served basis for live-callers only (must talk to a ranger, no phone messages) through the River Permits Office phone line (M-F, 8am-noon Mountain Standard Time, 800-959-9164 or 928-638-7884) to the first eligible caller who pays the nonrefundable $400 deposit. The one-trip-per-year rule and all other regular rules apply. These dates will remain available until claimed.

Standard Sized Trips: (allows 1 to 16 participants at a time)
December 2015: 11, 16, 18, 25

If you claim a launch date but have not paid the $25 launch year fee for 2015, you will need to pay it before the launch date can be assigned.

Potential Alternate Trip Leaders (PATLs) can only be added when the launch date is claimed. We strongly recommended all lottery applications list at least one Potential Alternate Trip Leader (PATL). If the original trip leader becomes unable to go on the river trip, and there are no confirmed PATLs, the trip will be cancelled.

Grand Canyon River Permits Office
buckmanriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015   #7
Wheredat, USA
Hey, let's go launch tomorrow!!!!!!!!
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015   #8
Lakewood, Colorado
oh man....so tempted to try and get one of the spots on the grand canyon, but as much as I think I did decent job on Lodore as trip leader....I don't think I'm quite up to that task right now. If someone else wants to lead, I'm definitely down for the 18th or 25th though and I'll even put in for the permit (with your name as TL). I have a raft and 3/4 of the gear, but I'm still working on a Groover, Kitchen and Firepan.

Still sort of leaning towards a Cataract trip since its within an easy days drive and you can get a permit on the fly. It would be pretty cool to put on the Grand Canyon before years end though. Someone should let me know on that. I was a dumb ass and turned down an opportunity to go on one that launched the 2nd...but no regrets I suppose.