Old 03-11-2016   #1
Twin Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
AIRE mold

So I have had a 15' AIRE with the ballast floor (perforated to allow water in between bladder and outer layer. ) the raft handles really well and the added weight at such a low point gives it an extra punch when running light. I also am starting to think it makes it a little harder to flip. Which I like.
But the other day I unrolled it and instantly knew there was mold. After inflating and a quick run down I found mold had gotten into the thwarts. I had dried the raft out pretty throughly after the last trip. Because I knew it would be a while until it was back in the river.
So FYI the AIRE series with the bladders might be more prone to mold if you don't allow them to dry out for like 4 days. And even then...
Great boat. Very durable. But a pain in the ass to patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

All4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016   #2
Seattle, Washington
PITA? tear aid!!

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016   #3
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Weird conclusion at the end. Aire rigs are easy to patch.

You only got mold in the thwarts? how does that relate to the floor description then?

How does the mold in the thwarts relate to patching?
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016   #4
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I could see where the floor holds water when the rest of the boat is dry contributing to mold. It would act as a humidifier when rolled. I always found them easy to patch as well.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016   #5
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Not judging, but strange that the most mold prone brand of boat is so popular in the most mold prone part of the country.

There are sprays they use for killing mold in houses, wonder if something like that would work?
Good luck with your boat man!
" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016   #6
boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Probably wrong, but I think I know where this thread is going.
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016   #7
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
We have 9 aire boats in the family navy. I did have some limited surface mold on the top (outside the chamber) of the floor probably about the first year I had the super duper puma after storing it rolled in a non-heated shed in NW Washington for a couple months. That was about 8 years ago. I cleaned that off, and stored it the same way many more times with no mold growth either inside or outside. We haven't had any mold on any of the other boats and we don't particularly take good care of any of them. Some are stored inside a heated area rolled some outside in non-heated buildings. No difference it seams. All of these are in western Oregon now where it is plenty rainy and moist all winter. I usually don't ever wash the boats, maybe once every year or 2. When we store, we let them sit under the back covered porch or in the Garage for a week, then I vacuum off any surface dirt, then roll up and store. Once a year I usually vacuum out the floor chamber for small silt/sand. I have never seen mold inside any of the tube or floor chambers on our boats.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016   #8
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
My 16' 1990something aire cat has never had a mold problem. nor a problem with a hole in the bladders (do have a couple patches on the shell though. - I store it fully inflated year round. (winter it hangs from the ceiling of the garage above my Suburban and Envoy.) I do scrub the tubes with soapy water and a car wash (like a small push broom) every fall before I store it in the garage. my 14' raft is stored in my shed (also up high off the floor above the shelves, hanging from the ceiling.) no problems with any of my boats so far.
"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016   #9
Post Falls, Idaho
I would guess that it is not the boat with mold or mildew but rather something on the surface. I've heard that mold/mildew can feed off of various things such as soap scum.

I've have my Aire for a few years and I've never seen mold, and Don't believe they ever really are dry inside. I opened mine up after a few weeks of inflated storage and there was still water between the layers. Aire states that residual water inside the tubes is not an issue to be concerned about.
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016   #10
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
Originally Posted by boicatr View Post
Probably wrong, but I think I know where this thread is going.
I think I'm on the same page with you, but OK, I'll play.

I have notice all of the same advantages with the floor that allows water in it while I'm running. Mold simply isn't a big deal. Run it for a day and it will be gone.

I'm also perplexed by the patching comment. Aren't Aires the easiest to patch?

FatGuynaLitlBoat is offline   Reply With Quote