Old 05-04-2016   #1
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
After-work South Platte run through Denver

New to the South Platte, want to explore it for some after-work fishing sessions. Can be at the put-in at 5pm, need to be off at 8pm. Any good suggestions on runs? Not sure how long the Florida - Fishback float would be with the current flows. Thoughts? Hoping to figure this river out so I can fish for carp and bass once the rivers cools down a bit.

fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It's been running pretty good ,currently 1200 out of Chatfield and 1800 downtown.Usually that would be fairly high and last maybe a couple weeks. Last year it stayed over 3000 for 6 weeks (?).Anyway ,don't know much about fishin',have seen some good sized fish but can't imagine SP town fish would be good eatin'.The run from C470 through Union is your other option besides Florida to Downtown.They are doing construction in various spots you may have to portage.A new feature at Oxford is being built.It was passable a couple weeks ago but they had an unbelievable quantity of rock to place.You may need to scope out suitable access points for a raft .In a kayak or ducky you can get out pretty much anywhere.Alot of places that have parking don't look too raft friendly as far as launching or getting out .You may have to carry up an embankment and down the bike path a little way.Best action is at Union,Downtown,and Dead Dog Rapid .Least desirable sections are below Lee Guch to Union, Oxford to Dartmouth or Florida,or past Trestle(apx 20th) to Globeville.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #3
Hi All,

I have a couple of beginners I would like to take on the C470 (Santa Fe to Union Chutes) run. At higher levels 1000 - 2000 cfs. Are there any features which may have major consequences for a swim? Should I wait until the levels go down below 1000. It has been years since I ran it at ~500cfs. Anything new I should know about?

jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Right on, thanks for the info. I think I just need to do it on a weekend and learn the route, then I can pick out the short after work floats. My weekends are few and far between, which is why I asked.
Old 05-07-2016   #5
Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Ran it last night in a 13' R3. Fun run for the backyard. It's high enough that the first rapid at C470 and union chutes would be bumpy swim. There was wood at C470 and the third drop (I think) at union chutes had sizeable raft ripper in the tongue. Reynolds Landing 3 drops were fun, 2nd drop is left with a quick right to center. Chicken wire for erosion control just under the surface out of the channel but that's in the flat water. I'd scout union chutes if you aren't familiar. I'm sure a swim out of the tongue and over the rocks would ruin your day in a hurry.
PoppyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Any advice on where to put in to avoid any obstacles? I don't want to run Union or Confluencs, so I could take out at Fishback. Not sure where to put in, maybe Florida? Is there somewhere else? Really just want the fishing, will take on rapids somewhere else that isn't full of runoff and effluent.
Old 05-07-2016   #7
Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Tamest would be to put in at 8th ave "Frog Hollow Park" and take out at Fishback. only one or two little chutes to squirt through and probably washed out this level.
If you put in at Florida there are still a half dozen chutes to navigate before Habitat Park. Not a real takeout but looks doable. If you aren't comfortable with Union don't go past Habitat Park. The chute before the trestle is long step and had a nasty strainer at the bottom two weeks ago. I never ran Union to Florida. Google maps has
a decent view.
And that's all I knows...

PoppyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote