Old 01-20-2015   #21
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Not to encourage lawless behavior, but I noted on my two trips that once you launch at Lees Ferry the authorities are not much interested in your actual progress through the canyon. Unless, that is, you get yourself into trouble and require assistance from them.
Basically, if you have a permit, as long as you flush out at the bottom in pretty much one piece at some point they don't check.

Taking an extra day to make it past Diamond should not cause any adverse consequence.

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015   #22
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
Expect rain one time during your trip but otherwise perfect temps. Wind can be a factor, don't hesitate to pull over. One Large dry bag oughta do it for everything from a bunch of shorts to some full Pile snugglers.

Definitely don't use a motor there's plenty of current to Pearce. A motor will only add a few miles/hour and you can sleep through the last 40 miles if you want. Tie the boats frame to frame. It will be approximately 10-12 hours from Seperation to Pearce 280m by nightfloat depending on flows. Push off from Bridge Canyon City at 7pm and you'll be waking up first light passed the bat caves 272-275. From 250-280 its giant siltbeds so hitting things aren't that important aside from the Hualapai docks that will appear as ghostly abberations at about midnight-1(260m) I have struck them several times ASLEEP on MY watch") once at 25K and another at 12K and it made an awful racket. I wouldn't want it to happen again but we lived")

Although the boats seem to find there way through sandbar alley(250-260) no problem, without assistance, there is one sandbar at Salt Creek that your flotilla can go left or right. If you go right you will slide down into a pocket with a big cliff above you as its a canyon coming in. You will need to row along the cliff back out in the current to continue your good progress downstream. Keep your outside oars handy for rowing and transfer your spares to the inside of the flotilla so they don't get smashed in a accidental sandwall strike.

Heres a horrible video of our 12 boat nightfloat. We just cook on the boat because we are always running late milking the upper somewhere. We had 20,000 lbs floating down river") But it gives you an idea of 3 mph. Glowsticks are fun. Guitars and instruments are amazing!

If there is no moon, the stars will be Popping. If there is a moon the Canyon Walls will be lit up") Enjoy your trip!

""I have rowed the GC a few years ago in Feb, and now I have a permit in April. What can I expect, whats the temp like, advice on clothing and gear. Bimini, yes or no. Also we going all the way to Pearce, has anyone ever used a motor, is it worth it or too much hassel? ""

moetown is offline   Reply With Quote