Old 02-08-2015   #41
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Not to worry....the lottery is over and we've bitched enough about it. Time to move on to more important things. Like river pups. What beautiful girls you have there Laura. Look at that face....."can we go on the river mom?" I was just about to say that you're going to need a bigger boat, or maybe a second 14 footer? Or tow a ducky full of dogs behind you???
Totally jealous of the river loving breed. We just rescued our second dog and we have no idea how he is gonna like water or not. We made the "mistake" (we weren't really planning on getting a second dog that soon) of checking a rescue shelter down in St George and fell in love with the guy on sight. We love him as family and are grateful for his addition to our life but his previous owner put no work into training or boundaries of any sort. Not shocking since he abused him: threw him against a concrete wall and broke his shoulder; never took him to a vet so it healed all wonk. He has an odd gait but isn't in pain and doesn't limit him as he has turned out to be a fence climbing houdini.

Hopefully we can see how he does this summer with water but he needs better recall and obedience before he ever goes on a river. His name is Arrow from the old made for television movie "The Point" narrated by Ringo Star. Hard to be too terribly grumpy about mismanaged lotteries with a couch cuddler like him and our first dog Isis around. If does turn out to love the river we are definitely gonna need to sell my 14' Cataraft as he is a dog version of Stretch Armstrong, dude is wicked long.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	847.0 KB
ID:	9319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	9320  

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	960.9 KB
ID:	9323  

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015   #42
cedar city, Utah
Our Isis has never been amazingly fond of moving water. She basically tolerates to be on sandy beaches and running around camp, which she loves. She has only been on the Moab Daily, Ruby/Horsethief and the Main. She enjoyed the Main and at that point was comfortable with rapids. I thought she would have enjoyed water more as Catahoula Leopards were stock bred in LA for hunting in bogs and such. Maybe the Mountain Cur in her just loves dry land, deserts and mountains too much.

More than anything she loves backpacking with me and fly fishing little streams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0181.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	9321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1291.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	9322  

Old 02-08-2015   #43
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
How can I stay pissed off at the Forest Service with all these sweet puppy faces. Arrow looks like he has a rather long inseam for sure. Rafts do work better that cats for doggies. At least for me. My pup was always on the verge of falling off my cat. Wow that sounds funny....but accurate
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015   #44
Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
And now a few days later when we have recovered from yet another attempt at a MF permit they rub salt in the wound with the "unsuccessful" Emails.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015   #45
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
He is adorable! Looks like he is ready to ride on some tubes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015   #46
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
He is adorable! Looks like he is ready to ride on some tubes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
He is definitely adorable. He is one of those dogs that knows it and flaunts it as well, kinda hilarious at times. They balance out well as he is totally a momma's boy while Isis has always been a little bit more drawn to me.

We hope to take him on a daily this summer. We just really want to have recall better before taking someplace foreign to him. Its crazy to realize he is only 12 months old and still has 3-6 months to grow (according to vet and breed info).

He is proving to be trainable just a bit obstinate when he is in full blown puppy mode. He also needs some more socializing as he had a noticeable disregard and fear of men, which is somewhat understandable considering his history of physical abuse. He is already exceeding expectations as we provide a safe and stable home for him. Pretty cool to see how a dog's personality will change when you provide them a good home.

The most adorable part of him is also the most frustrating. He has learned to climb our 5 foot fence and escape. The funny thing is he just goes across the street and sits on our friend's patio waiting for his dog crush Pipa. The hard part is she is like a 3rd of his size and has no clue how to handle his affection. He seems to think flirting involves sticking her entire head in his mouth and just sitting there.