Mountain Buzz banner

2017 Dolores high water Discussion

20K views 74 replies 44 participants last post by  CBow 
#1 ·
Hey friends!
I'm hoping this new thread can be a clearing house for Dolores river beta within the scope of the ramp up and higher flows happening late April through May. Who has experience? For those getting off the river how was it?

My small group is planning a May 1 2017 launch from Bradfield Bridge to Bedrock. 97 miles. 6 days. 5 folks, one dog, 3 rafts. Non of us have been on the Dolores before, but we're all strong boaters.

I've gotten some beta from recent trips and i'd like to get some more....especially as it looks like we'll be on the river as the release increases to 2000 cfs and midweek to around 4000 cfs. I understand these flow ramp ups (and downs) take a couple days.

http://doloreswater.com/releases/

I'm excited, but anxious about flows as i've heard of small to nonexistent eddies at camps and scouts, tamarisk choked channels, and undercuts.

Thanks for thoughts friends! Hopefully this can be helpful to more than just my group!

See less See more
#2 ·
Also very curious of the same. First time Dolores boater and will be launching on the 6th from Bradfield. Originally was thinking the riv would be around 2000cfs but looks like we will be touching the top at 4000cfs (Snag etc.). Have no shame and will be in a light rig. May even do a road side portage of snag. Wondering about other rapids though?

Also wondering if anyone has run Diversion Dam rapid this year.

Thanks!

#7 ·
We ran diversion dam last week. It was fine, ran the tounge river left center it was at about 2,500 at that time. State line was good. Chicken raper don't go left. Beaver canyon is worth a look if your in a big heavy boat.

Snag should get really intense as flows increase already have heard of a boat or two wrapping on snag and molar and that potential should increase with more flows.

Safe boating.

#3 ·
Following.. I'm looking to do Slickrock to Bedrock launching around may 12th and have never seen that stretch. Right now it looks like I might be running solo, if anyone else is going to be down there then and wants to coordinate a shuttle let me know. Or if anyone wants to join up for a trip I'd be game for that as well.

#4 ·
I'm also curious if anyone knows anything about potentially floating La Sal creek which comes in just above bedrock? Wondering if it's even possible but can't find anything about it. I'll be in a packraft and it looks like it could be a fun option.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#6 ·
We just did 4 days three nights from bradfield to bedrock at 1200. bushes and general overgrowth are the bane of the river. The willows in the channels should be way less annoying with higher flows.

The biggest issue really is overgrown and likely overcrowded camps as the season develops. Landings will be different at high flows. Some overgrown camps may have water above the weeds, making them more appealing, but overgrown banks are the single lamest issue created by the regular lack of water.

If you're prepared to handle some bushwhacking, finding camps will be easy. If you're holding out for a sandy beach, they are rare, and look nothing like the old Belknap map.

The only thing that people scout is Snaggletooth, and that is an easy, obvious scout even at the highest flows. Easy portage for a packrat.

Beautiful stretch, and the water will be more exciting but never overly difficult at higher flows.

#8 ·
slickrock thru bedrock to gateway

we'll be rafting the lower 2/3 of Dolores may 11-16, and will continue to monitor this discussion. appreciate continued advice on projected flows, campsites. will people bring their own water, or de-silt/filter river water? some folks have expressed concerns about uranium in the water. also, any advice or beta on anasazi/cultural sites and side hikes along the way would be great. we last ran this 24 years ago.

#10 ·
+1

In the past, mill owners weren’t required to clean up the detritus created by the crushing, leeching and drying of uranium ore into an enriched product known as yellowcake. As much as 99 percent of uranium ore is left as waste after the milling process. The finely crushed tailings still contain 85 percent of the ore’s radioactivity and heavy metals. It also contains milling reagents such as kerosene and ammonia.

Since both Radioactivity and Heavy Metals both are cumulative in the human body it is prudent to limit exposure as much as possible. Like limiting exposure to the Sun throughout your life can prevent Skin Cancer.

#11 ·
The River of Our Lady of Sorrows... Stories/Beta/Info/Liberal Propganda

On Monday of this week I was fortunate enough to have a conversation with a gentleman/boatman named Frank Waggoner. I was at Franks place of business and overheard him talking about runs that he made on the Dolores pre dam @ between 7000 and 9000cfs. As any river junkie would, I stopped working on his phone system and chimed in; that I had just ran snaggletooth that weekend for the first time at 1250cfs on Sunday 4/15.
He masterfully started telling stories of the "good old days"... these are often my favorite types of stories. He talked about many mishaps and of the wonderful times had by all that were advantageous enough to go down this spectacular river pre dam. This man has river running in his blood, his excitement and enthusiasm is contagious. This experience was truly a pleasure.
The thing that really got my attention was the emphasis that he put on getting river right at Island Rapid after Snaggletooth. This allows one to build momentum to break the lateral of the left channel (of Island Rapid) so that you don't get pushed/pulled/thrown into "THE WALL" where "boaters must avoid the dangerously undercut right bank" (Western Whitewater; Cassidy, Cross and Calhoun).
The stories consisted of many an experienced boatman's boat getting completely thrashed on the undercut wall. One story was about two 18 footers that came out of an episode with the wall with just two oars between them. They had to lash themselves together and used their oars on the outsides of the boats... Rowing a doublewide through 3 mile wouldn't be very fun! Other stories consisted of Captains abandoning ship (aka jumping out) before being sucked under the wall. As well as one of a friend that was trapped in a folded boat under the wall and had all but thought that he was dead till he pulled and pushed just right and the boat popped out from under the wall.
These need to be important reminders that we all have to teach one another, communicate and look out for one another while on the river. Just charmed happen stance getting to hear these stories. It helps me to become a better boatman to hear stories like these. Hopefully it will do the same for any of you intrepid boaters that take the time to read my run-on sentences. Hehe.

The lower D is its own little world and only gains value when you think about what is up on the mesa.
Thanks for the wisdom Frank!

AJD 2017 Quartzite swim team member. :?

Be safe out there kiddos and remember Alfalfa is a four letter word!!!

#12 ·
AJ, Thanks for the nice history report. Yes we have lots to learn from those who came before us. In that vein and for those who discount the "old Folks" I did just that years ago on my first trip down the Grand. (I paraphrase the account) Will always remember the "old guy" (I am probably his age now) asking me in Flag as I was filling up my truck before heading to Lees asking if I was rafting the grand? Yes I am I enthusiastically implied. Well, he quipped, just because you have made it through Lava "Don't let your guard down for there are more rapids yet to come especially 209. I thanked him for his advice and of course quickly discarded his "words of wisdom" as I speeded towards lees.

Fast forward to mile 208.5 a couple of weeks later. There I am, now sweep boat and filling cocky for I was the only raft that had smoothly negotiated all rapids w/no mishaps to that point. As I floated around the bend just above rapid 209 I will never forget asking my half naked (we were on top of the world remember) future ex-wife why all the rafts were rowing like hell to the left? Well you know the rest of the story....I was out of position and hit 209 dead center at the perfect point when it exploded and our raft back flipped into the hole. What a hoot.

The ole codgers (me now) words of advice has stayed w/me ever since and has probably saved my rear end more than you could imagine since then

BTW I will keep my eye out for that undercut wall below Snag. It kills people. When I last ran the dolores at 5k two rafters died there the week following our trip.

Be safe folks!

#13 ·
The BLM has just issued a caution for fires on the Dolores. Please read and share. Thanks and be safe out there!

NOTICE BOATERS!

Conditions on the river, especially below Gypsum Valley, have been reported as very dry and risk of campfires getting out of control is a serious concern. Last year’s grasses are dry and not yet replaced by green spring growth. Additionally, spring winds are picking up. PLEASE use extra caution when camping in the river corridor. Keep any cooking fires small. As always, use your fire pan and blanket. Select an area for your firepan that is away from dry fuels. Monitor the wind. Ensure your fire is cold before going to bed. Have water and a shovel at hand at all times. Thank you and have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#14 ·
Beach Booty Bingo

The timing of the current ramp up poses some avoidable problems or an eddy shopping opportunity, depending on your perspective and location.

6am - Dam Release

???? - Pumphouse - no gauge - math or arithmetic required

Midnight - starts rising at Slickrock – 18 hours from Dam Gauge

Noon- starts rising at Bedrock - 12 hours from Slickrock to Bedrock Gauge/30 hours from Dam Gauge to Bedrock

#16 ·
Fires are a serious concern already. the dry grass is quite flammable. We didn't start any grass fires, but it would have been very easy, and this was mid April.

We had a small fire with no wind and still had a few little sparks into grasses we had to stomp on.

#17 ·
So glad I found this thread. I pulled the total newb move and even tried to start my own discussion elsewhere. No wonder why I had some people read it, but not one replied...

Anyhow, Dave Frank was your run self support Kayaks to pull off bradfield to bedrock in four days? Or were rafts involved? I'm be doing that same stretch this weekend with the bump in flows.

#25 ·
Yes, we were 4 Jackson Traverses and one UL.

We did 22 miles on day one, a 36 mile day and a 32 mile day and a 17 mile day to finish. None were long days, but we were paddling through that whole stretch below Slrickrock to make camp that 2nd evening. That is definitely the weakest part of the run...

#21 ·
I just got off the Dolores. I ran from Bradfield to Dewey. 1200 cfs on the upper,we scouted Little Snag, Snaggletooth, and Stateline.

At the level we had for Stateline 3000 cfs or so there was a right run all the way down. I was rowing a lightly loaded 16 foot boat. There were very few places to pullover and scout from the left at Stateline and limited on the right. Walk down from quite a ways above if you want to be safe.

There is a REAL diversion dam ABOVE Diversion Dam rapid that should be scouted. The diversion dam could be a real problem if you aren't in the right spot. Upstream of the dam a 1/2 mile or so is a sign on river left cautioning you to take out. The dam is below this sign.

Watch out for wood in the lower section as the river rises as there was quite a lot of perched timber from the last high flow and Tamarisk cutting was evident with some of it in the river.

I haven't run this river for about 15 years, and ran it several times pre dam. Sad to say it's become very hard to find good camps due to the build up of riverside vegetation.

Scouting can be hard if you have more than a couple of boats as scout spots can be tricky landings due to the vegetation, be ready to pull over and land.Be alert as there are limited options if someone else is scouting at the same time.

Have fun be safe.

#22 ·
Looking at the DWCD release report it looks like staring may 4th the release will be 4,000cfs. Planning on launching from Bradfield on May 4th but a little concerned about the high flow. Anyone run Bradfield to Bedrock at these levels? Thinking there might be a decent amount of debris? Any info would be appreciated

#23 ·
Pre dam we ran on flows at least that high and sometimes a lot higher. Snaggletooth gets bigger but we never had problems.
Watch for the undercut ledge at Cannonball it's pushy at higher flows.

I didn't see too much wood above Slickrock although there were a couple of pine trees in the water that might move with higher flows. Slickrock to Bedrock had some perched debris in rocky sections.

#24 ·
Wet Desert Calculations

"This assumes a little under 3 mph for pulse"

The timing on the front end of the pulse is taken from the gauge readings on this week's bump from 1150 to 2000.

Leaving the assumptions, math, and arithmetic to others.

Seems to provide a rule of thumb, and open to correction/update. Don't know whether the observed estimates hold going from 2000 to 4000 or on the way down. Not sure how to predict the speed of over-4000 cfs flows that require the untested emergency spillway. Look forward to a real-life Grant Stevens recording the arrival of the Big Wave at each gauge when the water going down the spillway pulls the plug on the Dolores Project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.