2017 Dolores high water Discussion - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-21-2017   #1

missoula, montucky
Paddling Since: 1993
2017 Dolores high water Discussion

Hey friends!
I'm hoping this new thread can be a clearing house for Dolores river beta within the scope of the ramp up and higher flows happening late April through May. Who has experience? For those getting off the river how was it?

My small group is planning a May 1 2017 launch from Bradfield Bridge to Bedrock. 97 miles. 6 days. 5 folks, one dog, 3 rafts. Non of us have been on the Dolores before, but we're all strong boaters.

I've gotten some beta from recent trips and i'd like to get some more....especially as it looks like we'll be on the river as the release increases to 2000 cfs and midweek to around 4000 cfs. I understand these flow ramp ups (and downs) take a couple days.

http://doloreswater.com/releases/

I'm excited, but anxious about flows as i've heard of small to nonexistent eddies at camps and scouts, tamarisk choked channels, and undercuts.

Thanks for thoughts friends! Hopefully this can be helpful to more than just my group!

mtnkasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017   #2

Camas, Washington
Paddling Since: 1978
Also very curious of the same. First time Dolores boater and will be launching on the 6th from Bradfield. Originally was thinking the riv would be around 2000cfs but looks like we will be touching the top at 4000cfs (Snag etc.). Have no shame and will be in a light rig. May even do a road side portage of snag. Wondering about other rapids though?

Also wondering if anyone has run Diversion Dam rapid this year.

Thanks!
nlv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Following.. I'm looking to do Slickrock to Bedrock launching around may 12th and have never seen that stretch. Right now it looks like I might be running solo, if anyone else is going to be down there then and wants to coordinate a shuttle let me know. Or if anyone wants to join up for a trip I'd be game for that as well.
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I'm also curious if anyone knows anything about potentially floating La Sal creek which comes in just above bedrock? Wondering if it's even possible but can't find anything about it. I'll be in a packraft and it looks like it could be a fun option.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017   #5

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
My big concern with the D on the way up to 4k is wood. This channel has not seen 4k in a long damn time and thats bound to flush out a bunch of lumber on the way up. On the way down it shouldn't be such a problem. Be safe out there.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
We just did 4 days three nights from bradfield to bedrock at 1200. bushes and general overgrowth are the bane of the river. The willows in the channels should be way less annoying with higher flows.

The biggest issue really is overgrown and likely overcrowded camps as the season develops. Landings will be different at high flows. Some overgrown camps may have water above the weeds, making them more appealing, but overgrown banks are the single lamest issue created by the regular lack of water.

If you're prepared to handle some bushwhacking, finding camps will be easy. If you're holding out for a sandy beach, they are rare, and look nothing like the old Belknap map.

The only thing that people scout is Snaggletooth, and that is an easy, obvious scout even at the highest flows. Easy portage for a packrat.

Beautiful stretch, and the water will be more exciting but never overly difficult at higher flows.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlv5 View Post
Also very curious of the same. First time Dolores boater and will be launching on the 6th from Bradfield. Originally was thinking the riv would be around 2000cfs but looks like we will be touching the top at 4000cfs (Snag etc.). Have no shame and will be in a light rig. May even do a road side portage of snag. Wondering about other rapids though?

Also wondering if anyone has run Diversion Dam rapid this year.

Thanks!
We ran diversion dam last week. It was fine, ran the tounge river left center it was at about 2,500 at that time. State line was good. Chicken raper don't go left. Beaver canyon is worth a look if your in a big heavy boat.

Snag should get really intense as flows increase already have heard of a boat or two wrapping on snag and molar and that potential should increase with more flows.

Safe boating.
K.frazier91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #8

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
slickrock thru bedrock to gateway

we'll be rafting the lower 2/3 of Dolores may 11-16, and will continue to monitor this discussion. appreciate continued advice on projected flows, campsites. will people bring their own water, or de-silt/filter river water? some folks have expressed concerns about uranium in the water. also, any advice or beta on anasazi/cultural sites and side hikes along the way would be great. we last ran this 24 years ago.
jthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Would definitely BYO water.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #10

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
Would definitely BYO water.
+1

In the past, mill owners weren’t required to clean up the detritus created by the crushing, leeching and drying of uranium ore into an enriched product known as yellowcake. As much as 99 percent of uranium ore is left as waste after the milling process. The finely crushed tailings still contain 85 percent of the ore’s radioactivity and heavy metals. It also contains milling reagents such as kerosene and ammonia.

Since both Radioactivity and Heavy Metals both are cumulative in the human body it is prudent to limit exposure as much as possible. Like limiting exposure to the Sun throughout your life can prevent Skin Cancer.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote