Old 02-25-2013   #21
Louisville, Colorado
Definitely agree with static line. But as someone who has dangled at the end of 1000+ feet of static - I can tell you it has more stretch than you'd think.
Love the rigging of the pin kit, but that won't work with 200 feet of rope. That is one hell of a pin kit Squid.
So what do people have in their pin kits? Favorite knots? Anchors, progress capture methods? I like this kind of stuff!

My favorite knot for setting up a non-life supporting z-drag is an alpine garda on the main line for progress capture at the anchor.

Carabiner Knot: Garda Knot

Edit to add: I prefer having the main line to the boat independent of my pulley system. Nice picture brandob9.

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #22
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I have a haul kit in my boat. I use a hydrophobic static line that connects to the boat. I think its sterling 12mm? The other end you can wrap a few times around a large tree.

The haul kit is a 5:1 using smaller, more flexible rope. Maybe 8 or 9mm? The rope sees 1/4 the tension of the static line. I connect the haul kit to the static line with a prussik and the other end goes to an anchor (large boulder or tree).

The haul kit has about 50' of rope meaning i can pull the static line 10' without resetting. 10' should get just about any boat unpinned. If not, resetting involves rewrapping the static around the tree, untensioning the haul kit, resetting all the prussiks on the haul kit

I need to work on my anchor method to the frame. Ideally this is a 4 point connection but i need a slick way to distribute the pulling force where its needed

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #23
Louisville, Colorado
Check out an equalizing double figure eight. There are several versions of it that work well to equalize multiple anchor points, all of which would work well in a non-life supporting situation. A bowline on a bight will work too, and use less rope, but I find it easier to know I tied the double figure 8 correctly.

ETA - with a garda you would not have to re-wrap to capture the progress of the main line, and you could use the rope you were going to wrap around the tree as the anchor for the Garda and your haul. This is especiall nice if htere is not much beach to work with.
Old 02-28-2013   #24
Billings, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I have read these pin kit threads several times and have never seen anyone bring up the idea of using a cable puller, also known as a come along, to provide the mechanical advantage and pulling power needed to unstuck a pinned raft. Rafts are heavy, and have a large surface area, so the forces involved are large. I have seen a couple of wrapped rafts, and heard some of some epics, and in at least one case a cable puller was successfully used to pull a raft off a bridge pier. A couple of years ago I started carrying a pin kit for a raft that consisted of a 150 ft Ĺ inch static line, a 2 ton cable puller, a 100 piece of a retired climbing rope to make anchors, and some runners and biners to complete the kit.

I wrap the cable puller in an old towel to pad it, put it in a small dry bag, then put all the other items plus the cable puller in another dry bag and strap it on the boat where I can get it even if the boat is upside down.

In any pin situation there are a number of tasks to be accomplished, and when one person can do all the pulling in a controlled manner, it makes it easy for a small party to do everything else.

I use a made in America Tuff tug. I also recommend Maasdam as a good brand. You should know Maasdam also sells an imported line of consumer products, I recommend you spend the extra $15 and get the made in America version. Expect to pay about $40 for the Maasdam, $60 for the Tuff Tug. These units weigh about 8-10 pounds, which is about the same weight as the static line. They will really pull what the rating says they will. You can get a cheaper Chinese model, but you get what you pay for.

If you want to cut some weight and make the unit smaller, you can remove the shackles that come with it and replace them with two locking biners.

I contend that you can set up a cable puller faster, and generate more force easier, for less money, versus a z drag. On a raft, where the extra weight of the equipment isnít an issue, I think it is the way to go. I am curious to hear what others think about this approach.
KrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #25
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
cable puller

I've always wondered about using one of those for pinned boats, but I've never seen anyone mention them either. I carry a full kit of the standard ropes, pulleys, prussicks and carabiners, but I keep seeing a cable puller in the Harbor Freight adds that you can sometimes get for about $10 (and get a free LED flashlight too!). I'm sure it's total piece of crap, but for that price and the fairly small weight and size penalty for carrying it, it seems like not a bad item to throw into the bag of magic tricks.
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #26
Louisville, Colorado
I know rafters who carry a come along/cable puller. I have never seen it used in rescue. The only downside I see is that if your attachment to the boat or anchor were to fail that hunk of metal could really f up the operator. Well, that, and I really like messing a round with ropes and knots and such. Personally I don't think it should be a substitute for good rope skills. The upside would be substantial fetch in a space/beach limited scenario.
Old 03-01-2013   #27
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
There is mass in pulleys and biners (albeit less). You might want to set up an additional prussik below the come along just in case.

As when winching a vehicle, toss an extra (old) PFD, heavy jacket, or tarp over the static line. If it lets go, that mass will act like a sail or drag chute to slow down the kinetic energy of the snapping line.

"Winch line dampeners" are sold for this use...but an old jacket does the same thing and would have the additional use of keeping someone warm.
Rugged Ridge Winch Line Dampener 15104.43
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #28
Louisville, Colorado
"toss an extra (old) PFD, heavy jacket, or tarp over the static line. If it lets go, that mass will act like a sail or drag chute to slow down the kinetic energy of the snapping line."

^^^good advice for a z drag, or any hauling system.
Old 03-02-2013   #29
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Gary at sells pullies. Does anyone have any experience with these?
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #30
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I need a static rope. Always used Blue Water 2. Any recommendations?

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote