Old 06-02-2016   #21
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

The river looks noticeably different between 8-10k and 10-13k. The forecasts are for us to see closer to 13k at the start of our trip. We hit Warm Springs on day 4. I am hoping it continues to drop each of those days. I am just much better at medium to technical water than pushy, bankfull conditions.

Thinking I might bring the paddles so my passenger(s) can kick in my turbo boosters to hit those critical laterals. Its funny that I get nervous at this stage as I tend to enjoy those moments. There is just something about reading rivers and executing a good line that is satisfying.

Thinks for chatting folks.

I was noticing that too. At 8k, there is a very sticky hole in the center middle that seems to wash out at higher levels. There is a grainy video on youtube from 1998 that shows a cataraft getting caught in it and flipping.

Honestly, at high water its not bad, just super fast and you have to set yourself up correctly at the top. Make sure to catch the large river right eddy and then punch the river right wave hole and quickly spin so you can pull right. You may still hit the edge of the hole, but on that side it flushes easily and is actually a fun hit if you are prepared for it.

If you truly want nothing to do with the Maytag, you can almost literally scrape along the right bank and you'll miss it completely. A couple people from our group did that. I didn't want to do that since its less then elegant and I hate having to scrape oars on the shore, but I erred too far on the side of being away from shore.

Having some extra paddle power from passengers certainly helps too. I'm always most nervous just as I get in my boat after scouting up until the current takes you and its passed the point of no return. Not gonna lie, after having to scramble all over the rocks during the scout I needed a few minutes to cool down and then amp myself up to do the rapid.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #22
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Maytag will be obvious to you at 13,000. You will see it!

quinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #23
cedar city, Utah
Yeah, from the experience I imagine it will be obvious. I am sure I will see it, feel it and hear it from a distance.

I just like to dork out on these rapids. This one is interesting because of its 2012 rockfall. Seems like a wonderfully dynamic canyon.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #24
Carbondale, Colorado

Here's that hole at top. Not Mayag. Could maybe flip a boat
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #25
cedar city, Utah
Nice shot.
Old 06-02-2016   #26
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It's legendary! Check out the film Warm Springs produced by Rig to Flip on Vimeo to get a great history lesson. It's an awesome film and will definitely get the juices flowing.
quinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016   #27
cedar city, Utah
Are there any reliable places to fill up with water before Echo Park? Hoping to carry fewer water jugs if possible but not looking great from the maps.

Whatever happened in the last 24 hours is blowing up the forecast for the Yampa in the next 2 days. Still hoping the taper holds off for us until Day 4. Don't mind the speed to the first 3 camps but would love to see Warm Springs closer to or lower than 10k my first time.

Old 06-05-2016   #28
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
No water that I know of.
If you were about to die of thirst, maybe the folks at Mantle Ranch would take pity! I would double check on Echo water (but that's just me -- I usually do it early when there is no water at Deerlodge or Echo.)
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #29
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
. I don't know about the current owners, but I heard that old mrs. Mantle once blew a hole in a hatch raft with a shotgun

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016   #30
cedar city, Utah
Damn if isn't being stubborn and staying higher about 10 days more than normal.

Anybody know what Anderson, Laddie #1 and Sea Cliff are like at high water? Predictions are 11-15k on the Yampa and about 18k when we hit Sea Cliff. Just not use to this prescribed camp process.