Old 07-01-2011   #31
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Matt you must not know how to read if you believe that was a digital "bitchslap". If anything that was johnny saying things could have been done differently and maybe the outcome would have changed. He also said he didn''t have a flipline on( at 20K?) and i'm not really sure that eagle scouts counts as river training. i'm actually pretty sure that doesn't cover it because I was an eagle scout at one time and nothing we ever did constituted any kind of river safety training, maybe first aid but that's about it. And johnny, how were you assessing downstream when your upstream of the boat and can't see past it? Somethings not jiving here. Also just because you have run at lot of streches of river doesn't mean you know what you are doing or doing it correctly. Think about taking a guide class for shits and giggles and see what you can learn, might make your river trips that much better. And my parents met before you started rafting, f.y.i. And if my elders were doing things correctly I wouldnt have to talk to them this way

Anyways it was a helpful thread to a few people(johnny) until the mountain hick from carolina joined in with nothing constructive to say. So next time you say digital bitchslap make sure you read the post and actually comment on it.

Matt- Have you ever flipped a gear boat or just watched youtube videos of it? Maybe before you judge difficulty and try to blast others you should do it yourself so you know what your talking about. I have flipped heavy gear boats plenty of times and while it's not fun it's perfectly doable especially if you have practiced your technique and know what your doing. Nice try, but don't try to talk about things you don't know about.

Jvec- sounds like your a douche and you should go to guide school and learn river safety. I went 7 years ago and have been competently rafting rivers since. Thanks though.

Melissa- At least someone on here recognizes what to do in the event of a flip. I have flipped over heavily loaded gear boats and it is not fun but it is doable. Also getting out of the water should be your first concern as you said. It's always easier when you can see down river and your not suffering from hypothermia.

powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #32
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980

you bring up a lot of good points. and I think I would like to run a river with you. I am sure we could all learn a thing or two from that experience. I have never been to a guide school and I am not an expert at righting rafts or running big water. But I have been on big water a couple of times and I have had a hand in righting rafts from 14 ft paddle boats to 36 s-rigs (it took 30 people and two other moter rigs to right that s rig). Should have had the flip lines out I guess. I dont know. does CAT at 105,000, WW at 50,000, Yampa at 34,000, the Grand at 60,000 or the middle fork at 7.8 feet count as big water? maybe, maybe not. It seemed big to me, but we douch bags look at things in a different light. I should probably get enrolled in one of those schools soon before I hurt someone. Have you seen the picture of the 27 footer that endowed in warm springs in 1984? If only I had some flip lines out I probably could have self righted it before we got too far down river. Have you ever run a gear boat or is your experience limited to paddleboats? Thats what I thought.
ps. great video. I enjoyed it. nice save on the sunglasses. and great lines in warm springs. good to see you run some meat and then make a move. sweet!

jevc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #33
Golden, Colorado
anyway..... nicely edited vid. Thanks for sharing.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #34
Vail, Colorado
looks fun.

water after the flip looked pretty mellow don't see what all the fuss is about... didn't seem super urgent to re-flip.
chop217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #35
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Great video, thanks for sharing that. Looks like that swell just rose up out of nowhere and broke at exacly the wrong time.

No criticism on recovery from me. Bigger stuff than I've done.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #36
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Geez pow-pow, just f-in with you a little because you came across as kind of an asshole. I called it a digital bitch-slap because Johnny sounds like he's had more experience than any "guide School" could ever hope to provide. It's funny that you come on here talking shit and telling people how they should react, then get all upset about people giving you a little criticism in return. Take a chill pill, we boat to have fun not so we can berate others to boost our egos. I have flipped some oar rigs, not loaded to the brim though. My point was that you don't know what it weighs, where its center of gravity is or how hard it would be to flip just from watching a video. Also, I would say the amount of water Johnny has successfully run DOES mean he knows what he is doing and is doing it correctly, its called learning. I would trust anyone with years of experience over some cocky young kid who thinks they're ready for any thing because they graduated from guide school. And whats up with this mountain hick shit? Not that I take it as an insult, but the fact that you are throwing out regional slurs shows your lack of maturity and intellect. I probably have a better education than you, and when did living on a mountain begin to derive a derogatory connotation? Don't you live in Colorado? Want some advice? Next time you try to give some of your own, try not to sound like such a dick. remember, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #37
Aurora, Colorado
Fun to watch. The last time I saw water that high up in the cottonwoods at dearlodge was in the early 90's I think it was. Your vid brought back memories of my Rock Springs buddies. Fun times.
ch678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #38
Aurora, Colorado
First time rafter? Through warm springs, no less? She had a impressive run thru it.
ch678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #39
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
I'm glad you all liked the video. It was intended to show the big water. Love the Critics!
We all have our own paths. I always say "you don't go to the dance to not dance". The big water is dangerous. Everyone should have respect for it. I do. No buddy got hurt. We were successful at flipping the boat back over and I'm glad everybody shared their opinions of what should be done. That's one of the benefits of Mountain Buzz is to learn and educate through sharing.
Peace and safe floats to all!
Pow! Love ya man! No hard feelings. I did have river training in Boy Scouts @ age 11 and learned how to right a swamped canoe. It was called "canoeing" merit badge.
here's a link for reference.
Canoeing - MeritBadgeDotOrg
The water wasn't that cold otherwise I sure as heck would have been out sooner. I've also been told not to be in front of a heavy boat in the water as you don't want to be pinned or run over by your boat.
As far as educating myself more. Someday I wouldn't mind taking the swiftwater rescue course. In my opinion everybody could always use more training. For me I do have the right, I do have the skills, I have had the education and the "on the river experience". I'm not perfect and nobody is. And there is no better educator than experiencing first hand what to do in a situation. Remain calm!
johnnywetuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #40
Originally Posted by ch678 View Post
Fun to watch. The last time I saw water that high up in the cottonwoods at dearlodge was in the early 90's I think it was. Your vid brought back memories of my Rock Springs buddies. Fun times.
Rock Springs buddies! I have a few of them, they have been taking me down rivers for the last 5 or 6 years now, would not have the trips if it were not for them folks. Wonder if they are some of the same river ratts...

dport is offline   Reply With Quote