Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 04-02-2009   #11
teacher= SUMMERS OFF
I bought some Gorrilla Tape (from the Gorrilla glue people) and wrapped the shafts. I then heated the tape with a heat gun (industrial stregth hair dryer) to make it adher to the aluminum. It seems like its on there for good, however I need to submerge a oar for a few days to see if it holds. I really like the stuff, I once made a major emergency snow sled repair and attached poles to the contraption using Gorrilla tape and it lasted for an entire 5 day backcountry trip. Anyway, back to the oars, it looks pretty good but now I want to water proof it. I like the idea of the Rhinoliner on top of the wrapping or would marine epoxy work better?

tomt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #12
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
How about garage floor epoxy paint. Truck bed liner is pretty tough stuff. Just try to get it without the grit mixed in.

randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #13
Send a message via AIM to DesertBoater
the trouble with epoxy is that it doesn't flex that well...i don't know how much your oars flex when you pull/push, but it might be enough for the epoxy to just spider-crack and chip off...maybe if you fiberglassed it might work a bit better, but epoxy doesn't really like to stick to aluminum anyway...don't know about adhesion to gorilla tape though.
DesertBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #14
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Why soak an oar for days? Sounds like you're good to goŚ

Just take it on a trip, with a roll of Gorilla tape in the fix-box.

What's that saying? Perfect is the enemy of good?
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #15
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
If you go to your local electrical supply house they can get you shrink sleeves for large electrical cable, it is usually designated in mm. The stuff is incredibly durable/UV resistant and has hot glue on the inside that sets when you shrink it down. It's available in 4' sections and is most commonly made by RAYCHEM. It will cover a wide range of sizes, but it thickens as it shrinks so you might end up too fat for your locks. 4/0 tray cable would be the closest size to carlisle shafts. Maybe you could get rid of the poly altogether and just use the shrink tube?
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #16
missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is the closest one I've found to my current issue.

I recently came across a set of carlisle oars that have the sheathing COMPLETELY removed. It actually took me a while to figure out that is what they were until I noticed remnants of the sheathing left under the sleeves/

They came with a used frame I bought and the guy I got it all from didn't seem to know any different either.

I guess my question is... what do I need the sheath for?

These are obviously way lighter than my sheathed carlisles, but I am assuming they're less rigid... I just don't know if I need to do anything with them, or if they're suitable for use as-is. There are a lot of good ideas on this thread on how to fix or re-sheath... but I am not sure of the purpose. (<-clearly totally new to oar work)

Thanks in advance.
punqroqclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #17
Canon City, Colorado
I'd say the biggest thing is keeping aluminum oxidation off of everything that touches them and just generally for looks. I don't believe the sheaths give any real strength to the oars.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #18
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
As long as your oar sleeves aren't too loose, go for it.

If you're concerned about black marks, get some vinyl wraps made or use that big shrink wrap.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #19
missoula, Montana
Thanks fellas, that's just what I was looking for.

punqroqclimber is offline   Reply With Quote