Old 11-21-2013   #1
Wounded Warrior Project

We have learned that, in cooperation with the United States Marine Corps Wounded Warrior Regiment, Grand Canyon River Runners Association has developed a program that will offer a 10-day GC charter trip to a group of deserving veterans.

More information, including how to donate to this worthwhile project, is available at:

GCPBA is making a contribution to this fund, and we ask that you consider how you can help as well.

Rich Phillips
Secretary, GCPBA

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Broken Link

The posted link is broken. This one works:

USMC Wounded Warrior Grand Canyon Rafting Trip_GCRRA

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #3
Hi Nessy,

Thanks for the help.

Operator error on full display. Somehow a letter was dropped from my cut and paste when I dropped the link into my message.

Have a good one.

Old 11-21-2013   #4
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Rich, I applaud your efforts to help injured American service members, but WWP is not the best way to encourage people to help.

WWP put more in the bank this year than they spent on programs.
They report that 57% of revenue goes toward programs.
In actuality, 38% of revenue earned goes toward programs. 57% of revenue SPENT goes to programs. They put $59,447,352 in the bank.

38% is ABYSMAL.

Contributions, Gifts & Grants $143,772,582
Federated Campaigns $3,364,908
Membership Dues $0
Fundraising Events $1,047,555
Related Organizations $0
Government Grants $0
Total Contributions $148,185,045
Program Service Revenue $0
Total Primary Revenue $148,185,045
Other Revenue $6,773,856
TOTAL REVENUE $154,958,901

EXPENSES (Adjusted)
Program Expenses $55,386,953
Administrative Expenses $5,412,693
Fundraising Expenses $34,711,903

Payments to Affiliates $0
Excess (or Deficit) for the year $59,447,352
They also paid the CEO $311,000 last year.

Please do something for your local veterans' home or contact your local VFW to see if there are veterans in need in your local area where your money and your efforts can do the most good.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #5
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
WWP scores a 3/4 on charity navigator: Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project there are a couple other charity rating sites available which you can look into as well but I'm guessing they will also paint a pretty decent picture.

Non-profits rely on growing their endowments (long term or permanent pools of money) for financial stability in the long run. A permanent gift which provides interest for perpetuity can, depending on perspective, have a much bigger impact than money spent now all at once. Non-profits are bound to spend the money the way a donor intends it, so if you want your money to be used now on current projects they must honor that or not accept the gift. There is exceptions that can be made but in general that how it works. I'm guessing they are soliciting for long term gifts, many of which will be wills and other end-of-life contracts which turn over large pieces of wealth to the non-profit. If you want your gifted money to be used now, talk to the organization and make sure it goes to present use funds specifically to be used for programs you have interest in.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #6
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks Glenn.
CharityNavigator is where I got the data above.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #7
Hi All,

I've been in touch with GCRRA's President about this, and I think a word of clarification about trip organization will help -- starting with nomenclature. This is not a Wounded Warrior Project trip.

In essence GCRRA is putting together a charter trip for a specific group of wounded warriors, and is working directly with the commanding officer of one specific wounded warrior regiment. The GCRRA board member spearheading this project is a Marine Lt. Col. (retired). He has a lot of 'cred' in military circles and has easy access, and a direct line, to actual wounded warriors, as opposed to working through an outside organization. So there's no middle man. I'm assured that 100% of the donations will go toward getting these participants on the river, and that GCRRA is going to cover any administrative incidentals like Paypal fees.

Hope this helps clear up any good stewarship questions, and allows folks to feel better about supporting this worthwhile project.

Rich Phillips