Mountain Buzz banner

winter whitewater Kentucky

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bellotti 
#1 ·
looking for someone in the Louisville - Lexington interested in local whitewater rafting KY during high water.

#3 ·
So I don't live in Kentucky, but what rivers do you run back there? I've driven through the state once, and was pretty cool, remember driving past some awesome looking whitewater to, no idea as to which river though. Was just curious about other parts of the country. Hope you find some friends to boat with, off season boating kicks ass when you can pull it off!!
Cheers!

#7 ·
Around Louisville Floyds fork, Herrod's creek. During summer they run 50-250 fps. After a few days of rain, 1000-3000 CFS. not more that I or II s but the strainers are challenging. Wildlife is great, all unpopulated areas. Elk creek near frankfort KY is a commercial canoe creek with I's and II's have not done that one. Did Big South Fork (Cumberland) at 11.5 K last winter. very big III and IV. swam twice at 32 degrees.

#6 ·
I'm in Asheville NC and I boat all over western NC, eastern and the plateau area of TN, South Carolina, North Georgia, West Virginia and Kentucky. Are you a hard boater or rubber pusher? Daniel
I have been oar rafting for two years. started in guide school on upper Klamath, one week Nantahala, river rescue III Nantahala, training on big south fork at 11.5 K (swam twice temp 32), New river at 0 - 2 ft, also at 4 and 6 but very intimidating even w mentor in boat. All this was preparation for GC July 2016 non-commercial. Did that, rowed about 200 of the 226 mi including most of major 8's and Lava. I have my own equipment (14 NRS, and 9.5) both w oar frames. My rowing buddy (and mentor) from TN has taken a full time job and doesn't have time for the big trips to W.Va and S. KY. so I have been unable to run whitewater since getting back from GC. looking for other experienced rowers to make trips with. Also local in 9 foot (Louisvill) rivers at flood stage, usually I and II w strainers

#9 ·
Sick, I'm originally from Louisville but didn't do much boating before moving out to CO. My first time ever in a kayak was on the Falls of Ohio and I swam repeatedly out of my EZ and was really lucky not to contract syphilis or something worse.

I went and checked out the zone above the locks on a trip home last spring and was shocked by the magnitude of the rapids I saw. They looked manky huge beyond belief and I would guess they were running somewhere around 80k cfs. I have no idea.

The Russel Fork is full on, probably not what you're looking for. You're also (obviously) near VA and WVA where there are options for days. I'd be interested to know more about local boating near Louisville. Always wondered about Beargrass Creek in Cherokee Park on high high flows... Good on ya!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.