Old 07-09-2013   #11
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by rivh2o View Post
say on average how long will dry ice last if it does not come in contact with any water and minimal air
The dry ice will deplete regardless of conditions within a few days, even if you completely duct tape your cooler. If it comes in contact with water, it will go faster. My dry ice lasted to start of a 3rd day, but once it was gone, everything was frozen solid. I bought 10 lbs package at the local grocery store. And I have a 150 qt Galaxy Cooler

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #12
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
from trusty wiki:

As a general rule, Dry Ice will sublimate at a rate of five to ten pounds every 24 hours in a typical ice chest. This sublimation continues from the time of purchase; therefore, pick up Dry Ice as close to the time needed as possible. Bring an ice chest or some other insulated container to hold the Dry Ice and slow the sublimation rate. Dry Ice sublimates faster than regular ice melts but will extend the life of regular ice.

Note to self: open the car windows if you bring it home inside of your vehicle...... carbon dioxide is emitted fomthe dry ice.... not good, will make you dizzy, etc.

more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #13
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
For a recent Grand trip we had two coolers just for ice. We used clear sculping ice in block (3 or 4 blocks per 123 Qt Engel cooler) and topped them with two blocks of dry ice each. Dry ice blocks from City Market are typically about 6x6x2 ish and come in their own plastic bag. When the dry ice was added we put a little bit of extra visqueen between the regular & dry ice. I would say the dry ice lasted about 4 days, but it left the cooler totally frozen. By day 13 (of 16) I would say that half the ice had melted. I could have been a little better about draining in the first half of the trip and on a layover day the cooler was left in the boat without a cover during a hot day, but in the end we had enough ice to keep the food going till we got home and ice cold beers the last 4 days or so.
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #14
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I use dry ice regularly and have never noticed any taste. The food is wrapped for freezing in ziplocks or vacuum bags.

I typically use a 'freezer' cooler, all of the food is pre-frozen and I top it off with some dry ice. I strap it closed and keep it under a wet blanket. I can go about 3 days before the dry ice is gone. I can serve pop cycles on day 3 of the San Juan and the frozen contents are good for another 2 days.

If I add a 3" layer of water ice over the bottom (as per above) I can still have ice at the end of 8 days on Deso/Gray in July.

During a multi-day drive to the river I replenish the dry ice in the freezer cooler as needed. Small pieces of dry ice in the regular cooler will keep your block ice nice and fresh in the hot car.

Dry ice in direct contact with food can cause freezer burn, I found a small insulated lunch sack that is perfect for keeping the dry ice off the food.

Dry ice will freeze most fresh produce, so keep it away from the veg.

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote