Old 01-23-2014   #1
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
why i bought my expensive american made boat

Cause I wanted to. And I thought buying a Made In The USA boat would suit me the best. I saved until Icould buy it and yeah its an Aire, if I can kill the thing in the next 7 years it will get fixed for free. I'm not busting on chinese made or mexican made I saw what I wanted and I got what Iwanted. I have freinds who have nrs, maxxon, vangaurds, and (gasp) saturns, baltics and rmrs. I dont bust their chops their boats get them on the water and make our freindships better by having great experinces together, hell i just might buy one of those boats from the guy in latin america so I can get more freinds involved in this whole rafting thing.
Of course they can row that one cause nothing comes between me and my boat.

Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #2
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I did because somebody had to. If China owned the boat market 20 years ago we'd all be floating 80 ' s technology because that's what they know how to copy. Plus I like supporting people from the potato head state.

And I hate supporting people who do nothing to add to the industry

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #3
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
I bought an american boat because I could. But a long time ago my first boat was a Udisco. They ran about 350 from NRS for a "10 man". I'm sure it was from asia somewhere. My friends looked down their noses at it, but it got me and my friends on the river. Buy the best boat you can and run it.
swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #4
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I did because somebody had to. If China owned the boat market 20 years ago we'd all be floating 80 ' s technology because that's what they know how to copy. Plus I like supporting people from the potato head state.

And I hate supporting people who do nothing to add to the industry
I love my potato head boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grand canyon 2013 016.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	7586  
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm an equal opportunity boater. I have owned a JPW, Outcast (Aire made), Maravia, Hyside (Korea), and have a Sotar on the way. I bought each one based on multiple factors....price, design, size, features, and recommendations from other owners. They have all suited my needs very well at the time that I had them. I'm always in search of my perfect, forever boat, but as you can tell from my list that appears to be a never ending work in progress.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #6
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989

Agreed on the no perfect boat. I'm the same with vehicles. I am not loyal to them. I want them to do what I need them to, and my needs and wants change. I have a Subaru Legacy right now, but I want to move up to a 1992-1999 Suburban. I pretty much need 4WD and the seating for float trips. My little car is great but fills up with people and gear too damn fast. The Subaru met my needs 3 years ago, now I'm ready to move on.
Boats are the same. I don't get attached. I'd like a 13 foot paddle raft and a 15 foot overnight raft, but I can afford 1 right now, so a 14 it is. I like having an American made raft. I really like Aire, but the Sotar I have was a right time at the right price boat.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #7
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Because 25 years later it is still going strong.
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #8
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
Check out our stack of fine American made goodness!

What a beautiful sight. Hwy 12 Idaho. Lochsa River.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04922.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	971.5 KB
ID:	7591   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04922A.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	7592  

LochsaIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #9
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I bought an aire for the warranty. I am hard on my equipment, so I knew I needed to spend extra in the beginning in order to save money in the long run. My boat is 8 years old and the PVC was starting to become compromised on the top and the ends of the boat. I sent aire a photo they had me ship the boat back to them. Friday I got a email saying they are very sorry about my boat being compromised and a new one is on its way. Go aire. I also like the potato people.
davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #10
Jenks, Oklahoma
I am a big fan of the Aire bladder and outside skin concept

for rafts. The fact they are made in US, makes it even better. Easy to repair if needed and a great warranty that most never need to use.

I am also a big fan of JPW products, made in US for sure and one of the few places where the owner personally answers emails and questions.

Maravia is also high on my list of made in USA rafts.

Partner Steel products, made in US and the quality there is worth the cost again my opinion based on a couple of stoves that so far got hard use for years and the only thing to go wrong was a little o ring leak on a hose that probably got dirt in it due to me.

Bottom line quality is not necessarily only there for only US made boating gear but in my opinion a person stands a better chance if it is.

Foreign made gear quality (my opinion here) primarily depends on how well the US selling organization monitors and requires it. Sadly most do a less than satisfactory quality check.

My personal belief is if a person buys quality gear and takes reasonable care of it, they save money over time as opposed to the cheapest low bidder product.

There is one good reason I like quality feedback here on the Buzz. Granted, some feedback is biased and not reasonable, most tho is quality and I value it big time.

The more money we spend for US made stuff, the better it is for the entire country as that money gets recycled through out the manufacturing chain.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote