Old 11-04-2015   #1
Oklahoma City, 73106
Paddling Since: 1985
Whitewater Park coming to Oklahoma City

The city of Oklahoma City is building a huge, dual channel "pumped" whitewater park, to be managed by the Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation.
Here is a link to updated construction:

I recently moved to Oklahoma City to build the team of staff to operate the course. We are scheduled to open to the public in May 2016. We will run the rafting operation and kayak instruction operation very similar to most commercial outfitters without having to run shuttle basically. The course be class II - IV and will be completely variable, thus giving us ample opportunity to build great surfing waves and holes....right in downtown OKC. We're building a restaurant/bar and stage in the park.

Based on the possible guest attendance and through-put as well as the proforma, I will have plenty of raft guide and kayak instructor jobs for the 2016 season and beyond. I have planned for 3-4 salaried/management positions in raft and kayak departments that I'm now accepting applications and interviewing for in the coming months. My goal is to have the management team in place by late winter 2016.

I will also be seeking 15-25 veteran raft guides and 5-10 kayak instructors interested in guiding/teaching in Oklahoma City for 2016. We will start teaching raft guiding to locals as soon as we have water, but the park will need several skilled/veteran guides to bring the river culture to Oklahoma City and make this project the real deal. The citizens of OKC are fired up, so we need good people to deliver a killer experience.

If you have any interest and/or want to hear more about the project feel free to shoot me an email...
Dave Hepp

And here is a link to our website and career page:

Careers - Boathouse District

Thanks and please spread the word!! We'll be surfing in OKC soon...

Davehepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hi Dave, I'm very interested in this facility. I have a lot of experience working at ASCI, a similar whitewater attraction in Maryland, as well as being an experienced raft, IK, and river board guide. I'll get my resume up to date and submit it to you over the weekend. I'm near Lawton, about an hour to OKC.

Can wait to y'all turn on the pumps!!!

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Looks pretty cool. I'm curious how long the course is going to be that you will be offering guided whitewater rafting, are they going to take guests on a dozen laps of the course?

This might actually make me want to visit Oklahoma.... Thanks for sharing.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #4
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
15-25 veteran guides? Should be no problem, every rookie I've ever trained is from Oklahoma...

Are you really building artificial Class IV?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #5
What's the planned season for this to operate?
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #6
Edmond, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1988
This will be the third park of its kind. The first being in Charlotte NC. The second was for the London Olympics and now this one. There is a lot of footage on youtube for anyone that wants to get an idea about what it will look like finished. This particular park will have two channels. One beginer channel and one expert. At the bottom both features will merge and there will be one larger wave,feature that will accommodate all the water.It will have class IV and will probably see an eight to nine month season. From what I understand the total guide count will be around 60+. Guide training is set to start around 04-02-2016. Im not for sure how many laps will be included in a "guided trip" but I'm sure the customers will have the option to do as many as they like. It will be really nice to bring the kayaking rafting culture to the downtown okc area.
robfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015   #7
Edmond, Oklahoma

I know its limited but they do have housing available. Please spread the word if you know anyone that might be interested. Seems like it could be a good option for pre or post season Colorado guides.
Old 11-06-2015   #8
Will they allow you to bring your own raft? Would be a blast to take a mini max down with oar frame and good practice.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015   #9
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Who are the guides working for? Is the course public? Will there just be the one outfitter (OKC)?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015   #10
Edmond, Oklahoma
Guides will be working for the okc boathouse district. The only rafts or raft trips allowed at the park will be commercial and provided by okc boathouse. As of now there will be no private raft trips in the park. Private kayak trips are available as well as private lessons. This means you can bring a group of students and teach your own class. There will be a fee per person for this option. If I remember right it's somewhere around 8-10 bucks a head.