Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 02-02-2006   #1
Where to go camping and rafting in Browns Canyon?

I am bringing some buddies out from Chicago in Mid June to do some camping and rafting...Thinking of taking them to Buena Vista to do some camping and rafting on the Ark...What is the best section to paddle on the Ark...I am looking for the biggest rapids and most challenging section to raft...They have been rafting before in Browns Canyon in later part of the season...I have done the numbers and narrows before in June...I can't remember if the numbers was the better section to raft?...Is there a better section to raft and what company should we use?...Where may be a great place to take a SUV offroad to camp and fish for a day or two...Thanks for any help...

mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #2
Ark's a great call for rafting. Pine creek/numbers and Royal Gorge are the most challenging sections. Good companies include River Runners, AAE, Buff Joe's and Raft Masters.

There are plenty of dirt roads to camp on and fish from just dont be takin that shitpiece gas guzzler off of established roads, knockin down vegetation and such... The animals wont like it and neither will any of you motorhead savages when us hippies start driving tractors through your homes and fragmenting your habitat. Mongo-this is not directed at you...just sayin'.....

Have fun. Your midwestern buddies will love it.

RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #3
Head west from Buena Vista toward Cottonwood Pass. Take a left at the sign for Cottonwood Lake, keep drivin till you find a spot you like.
OR head toward Leadville go left at Clear Creek Resivor keep drivin past the Ghost Town.

Take a Groover and your trash out.

And there are bears in the woods.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #4
Thanks for the info for camping...What is the best section to paddle on the Ark near Buena Vista?...Any companies to recommend?...
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'd say go for the Numbers. The Pine Creek section above the Numbers has some bigger stuff in parts, but people did die there last year on commercial trips and Numbers will be tons of fun mid June. There is camping along the Numbers section, but there's also a dirt road going by where people run shuttles.

My only experience w/ outfitters is Marine Canyon. Family went down Brown's and I kayaked along side. I thought we got hooked up because they transported me & kayak for nada, until they wrapped their raft on a boulder above toilet bowl - had to rope my family to shore - spent 2 hours unwrapping the raft. Take what you want from that story.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006   #6
C. Springs, Colorado
River Runners is a great commercial company to run the numbers with. Ask for Dan K. Best numbers guide on the river. Afterwards, have him point you toward Cogans for a free place to camp. It's all South of Buena Vista as River Runners is right across from the Fisherman Bridge public put in. If you go down to run the Royal Gorge, once again go to the River Runners office and ask for Mr. Clean. He'll give you the ride of a life time. Best Gorge guide on the river. Enjoy.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote

browns, browns canyon, rafting