Old 10-09-2012   #21
Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
Did you actually read those? They're saying that if you're poor and homeless (read: don't have enough to eat, don't have adequate clothing, education, etc) that your chances of a successful life/career are worse. To cite those studies is ridiculous, you have to look past the first paragraph that says, kids who live in homes do better than those on the don't need a study to tell you that. I don't think this guy is proposing to go live on the street and sell drugs to make it. It wouldn't be my choice for how to do things but live and let live.

BrianP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #22
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Thank you Brian..

And to the dirtbag, I actually think citing those studies further hurts any credibility you had..

Point is, don't judge and mind your own business.

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #23
Duluth, Minnesota
And the whole income thing is only part of the equation. Low income families or homeless families tend to not be as stable as one with 60-70k and a mortgage. Taking a well balanced family with good morals, ethics, values, whatever, etc and putting them in an RV isn't going to make them a failure. Likewise, giving a drug dealing thug a nice house won't make him less of a POS.
BrianP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #24
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Ok you all need to go paddle! I've got kids and a house and a job and in my experience we are always changing and readjusting. There's seasons for everything in life.
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #25
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Ranchman, good point. positivity is the key. For the record, I'm a full time student working toward a teaching degree. Once completed and employed that will take care of the long term financial situation. Not planning to get rich, just pay the bills. And while summers off is a sweet perk of teaching, that is not the reason I want to teach.

Dirtbag, you have your point, but I have to contend that the research you provided is all statistics and surveys, good for looking at the big picture, but not so great at analyzing individual cases. Think what you want, but I have always provided for my family, and I always have their best interests in mind. I would not consider this adventure if I thought it would hurt my family. Thanks for your input, but if we can make this happen we're going for it, and if we keep a positive outlook as the experiences roll in, we will have positive outcomes. Simple as that.
life is too important to be taken seriously
krashhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #26
welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
There are many teachers that are raft guides in the summer . Very nice balance .
Go for it !!
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #27
Denver, Colorado
To put this thread back on track...

I guided in Ohiopyle, PA for 3 years and it was a pretty awesome place to guide. Very consistent work May through September. Most customers don't come until the spring run-off is done so you get most of the big water and creeking to yourself if you want it (or you can volunteer as one of the couple guides actually working). The lower yough (III+) runs 365 days a year and the Upper Yough (IV+/V) runs most Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays.

The coolest thing about working the lower yough is the Guide Assisted trip format. Its a class III river without a guide in every raft. One guide in the lead raft, one guide R1ing the sweep raft with lunches (get your paddle skills up to snuff, this aint no oar rig) and 2-3 kayakers in the middle setting safety and giving hand signals from big rocks. You'll deal with a flipped raft at least 1x a week, and often 2-3 flips per trip depending on waterlevels.

I will say if you want to kayak, work for Wilderness Voyageurs as pretty much every single employee (guides, photo staff, res, management) is either an accomplished kayaker or actively learning how to kayak more than 3 days a week. They do staff trips to kayak waterfalls in west virginia and a Gauley fest trip.

Lastly, there is an 18ft perfectly clean waterfall that runs most of the season within walking distance of the outfitters. Eat your heart out!

Whitewater Map American Whitewater river info you can use.
pilom is offline   Reply With Quote