Old 07-18-2015   #11
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Having dealt with multiple, very serious, and life changing injury's, as an emergency first aid provider, some of the most unfortunate things i saw, were caused by some one calling somebody a "pusy" or some type of peer preasure.

I have regreted it every time i have gone against my gut instinct to not do something.

Calling a boater a pusy for not running a section, when he has safety issues, is not what an adult that cares about his fellow boaters safety,does.

I think restrac made the right call in this situation.

I would run parkdale at a lower, more forgiving level, first, to get the confidence back. It is preaty mellow right now, for instance.

Three rocks is a dangerous rapid at high water, spike buck to, for that matter, know guides that have evacuated passengers with broken backs,(from 3 rocks river left), also a good one for cardiac episodes in older men, when ever i see a rapid that state parks places a back board bellow, i give it a little extra respect.

I run high water spike buck down the right, breaking the lateral off the right shore, at the top of rapid, is key. Most carn there, is from not getting right, those big holes in center have caused some nasty swims.

White water is not something to be terrified of, but it does deserve it's due respect, especially at higher flows.
Loose your lunch above 3 rocks, and later sharks tooth, are funner then s#%t at high water!!!

The only truly bad trip is the one where some one gets seriously injured, or does not go home.

Happy boating, and make good choices!!

" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015   #12
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
The most experienced boaters on the Upper Ark will say Three Rocks is the nastiest rapid at higher levels in the whole 100 mile long park. Not Pine Creek, not Seidel's, not anything in Royal Gorge, but 3 Rocks. I went to run it at >4K the day after the fatality there (which is another factor that looms large with it being so recent), and didn't even think twice about bailing. That is some nasty shit, you should see it @ 5 and 6K. I swam Seidel's the previous weekend as well,and was back in the boat in <5 sec, but still yet another factor in the easy choice.
Thanks for the comments. I was unaware there was an accident and fatality there this year. Was there a report on what happened?

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015   #13
cedar city, Utah
Thanks for the thoughtful response, Mattman. Totally agree on how we treat other's decision making in whitewater.

I am definitely looking forward to running that rapid at lower water the next time I am out there, likely next summer. I gained tremendous respect for the Ark at those levels. I doubt this will be the last time I bail on a daily especially if we ever can find work close to quality whitewater.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote