Old 07-03-2015   #11
Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 1993
One time we got to the take out and our main truck and trailer were no where to be found. Funny thing is the operator did not refund us the tip. Needless to say we will never use them again. Satellite phone's come in handy in the boonies.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #12
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I wouldn't stress hard on it, good way to overwhelm the fun out of a trip. Tip well, and they won't drive it like they stole it, they're professionals.

Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #13
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I too use shuttle services and do tip, I like taking care of someone who is transporting my vehicle.

The problem is if $30-40 is the norm then the drivers will come to expect it, and for those who tip lesser amounts (like myself and others I know) drivers might be disappointed and maybe even a bit disgruntled.

I've heard some companies pool tips to share, which seems to make sense for this type of service. One has no idea what type of service they have really provided you(and your vehicle) with aside from being thankful your rig is there at the take out. What about the driver who gets the '77 Datsun 2wd pick up truck with no shocks, no air conditioning, and an am radio with a possible chance for a country or gospel channel, while another driver gets a newer model suv with the cushy ride, arctic blast a/c and satellite radio?

"This automatic tipping thing. It's for the birds." -Mr. Pink

Sent from my way cooler than yours smart phone using Mountain Buzz
STD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015   #14
Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1991
Many years ago we did the John Day River, four cars to be shuttled total. When we got to the takeout, one of our cars was missing. We eventually were able to contact the shuttle people and to make a very long story shorter, it turns out that a different shuttle company had picked up the wrong car at the takeout, same car make, color, and key hidden in the same spot, and had taken it to their storage area. It was a long afternoon, but eventually we got our car back. Our shuttle company refunded our entire shuttle bill because of the mix up, even though it wasn't their fault. We ended up mailing back 50% of the shuttle fee, as none of our group felt that they should take the hit for the situation.

All these years later, should we have just sent them the entire shuttle fee anyway? Hard to say, as the shuttle company was so adamant about refunding us for our troubles.

Then there is the story of getting to the takeout at Carey Creek, and finding a vehicle with a destroyed tire, and the donut spare flat. But at least it is mounted on the car. But getting back to the original question regarding a tip. Yes I always feel like I'm very generous because I want them to take care of my vehicle.
kanoer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015   #15
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by erdvm1 View Post
Seems if someone is rallying your truck you'd never know.

Agreed, you gotta have faith. Likely it's pure luck who drives your vehicle and how they drive it.

Anyone ever use a valet restrictor?
It's a programmer (hypertech) that allows you to limit the top speed the car will go.

I like the idea of a valet restrictor, but all of the Utah shuttles include highway so you would have to set it at 65 for Dino or 75 for Deso or Cat, which would leave plenty of room for rally driving on the dirt road portion.
__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote