Old 01-27-2016   #1
Port Angeles, Washington
Paddling Since: 2016
What size cataraft do I need?

Hey everyone! I am new to catarafts, and actually new to drifting in general and I have quite a few questions that I would greatly appreciate if I could get some knowledgeable answers too. To start off with I am a fly fisherman, so most of my fishing will be landing the boat and wading in the water to fish a run, but there would be some nymph fishing on the boat in between good swinging water. I would love to have the boat be light enough so that 2 people can easily pull, lift or drag it out to the water with out the need of a boat ramp, I wanna be able to fish where drift boats cant. I will most of the time be either fishing by my self or with one other person with the occasional few times of having me and 2 other people fish. Maybe rarely do just a peaceful float with out fishing with 4 people and next to no gear. Im a welding fabricator and Id love to build my own setup exactly to how I like/want it but I have no idea where to start. Would a 14' cataraft do all that I am wanting to do? Could anyone give me dimensions to building a frame? Would a 14' cataraft be easy to maneuver all by myself? Would it have the capacity to hold just 4 people with out gear? Is it light enough to pick up with 2 people or even use one of those wheels by myself? Is a 16' cat light enough for 2 people to pick up? Can one person fish a 16' cat? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!! If you got and frame recommendations or anything at all. Thanks

Felton45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016   #2
Louisville, Colorado
The cat is light, but the frame is heavy. Sounds to me like you might want a 14' hyplon raft. 4 peeps on 14' cat is a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016   #3
Port Angeles, Washington
Yeah a 14' is what i was leaning towards. Thank you very much for your input. Like i said 4 people would be something I would rarely ever do if I even do it at all. Is a 14' raft easily maneuver able with one person?
Old 01-27-2016   #4
Port Angeles, Washington
Also would a 12 or 13' cat be able to haul 3 people? If i scratched the idea of ever hauling 4 people, would i be able to fish 3 people off of a 12 or 13' cat?
Old 01-27-2016   #5
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I have a 14' Sotar ST cat that I use in the manner you're describing. I built a modular frame so I can add an angler station up front- or solo rig when it's just me. I can drag the boat onto a trailer by myself in solo configuration. I wouldn't want two anglers plus me- it would row like a pig. It's great with one angler- and a Ferrari when I'm alone. 14'x23" tubes are a good choice.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016   #6
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a 16 foot cat, but I rarely take more than one passenger on it, and when I do, it's typically kids, so they don't mind being close. Two people can move the cat just fine. (the frame is kind of heavy, and I wouldn't want to haul it up hill for very far, but two people can handle it just fine)

I also have a 14 ft raft. (great for passengers) I prefer it with passengers. And I prefer fishing from the raft vs. the cat.
"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016   #7
Louisville, Colorado
I think you should look at a 13'-14' raft, not a cataraft. The more substantial frame on the cat will make it heavy. I usually see fishermen in rafts, I think it is because rafts have a floor. A 14' boat is easy enough to manage on the river solo, it is the loading and unloading that is challenging. But a good trailer with a winch can remedy those challenges. Hopefully some fishermen while chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016   #8
Port Angeles, Washington
Thank you everyone for your inputs so far! As far as rafts go, would I be able to pick those up? Are they heavier then cats? Would I be able to carry them out to the river with ease with out any ramp or boat launch?
Old 01-28-2016   #9
Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
I have set up alot of fishing cats , hundreds. I actually prefer to fish from a cat in technical water. They can get sluggish if you overload them. You are going to want at least a 14. I run 14x24 tubes for extra floatation. Here is a cat frame that runs a passenger in front and one in the rear and it balances out the boat great for fishing. You will hear lots of get a raft but it really comes down to knowing how to set them up and knowing what kind of performance to expect from how you load the boat. The frame shown is only 82lbs for as big as it is with 2 dry boxes ,1 fish box, removable backrest,swivel lean bar, hard floors etc,etc.

Most of the modular frames are excessively heavy by the time you load them up with fittings. Ther are alot of mistakes people make when putting together fishing cats that kind of gives them a bad rap. If you know whats up they work pretty well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	10948
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016   #10
boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Got a bite!!

boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote