What side do you use as the bow and why? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-23-2014   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
What side do you use as the bow and why?

There are some boats (like the Aire E series) that you don't really have an option, but most rafts are the same shape on each end. I always thought that the valves should be in the back of the boat. Though on our last day out rafting, a friend of mine said he runs his with the valves up front. He said when carrying gear, having the valves up front make them more accessible if you need them.

So I am just wondering what other boaters are doing.

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yeah I run valve up front and purge valve in the back. Assuming you don't have gear piled in the bow you won't have to unrig to top off the floor in the morning. The purge valve will last longer when your not stepping on it and driving sand and grit into the valve.
Old 12-23-2014   #3

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Valve in front

Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatableSteve View Post
valves up front. He said when carrying gear, having the valves up front make them more accessible if you need them.

So I am just wondering what other boaters are doing.
That is my reasoning. I have a 143R that could be run either way, but when it is loaded up with the River Bag and all the usual crap I bring along it would be a major pain in the ass to simply top off the floor if it was in the back. The downside is the valve tends to get more sand and grit in it which can cause it to leak slowly and probably wear out quicker. It is pretty easy to clean and not much more difficult to replace the moving parts. My boat is 10 years old with lots of miles and I've only cleaned so far, not replace. One advantage of the AIRE boats is that the pressure release valve is inside the floor pocket and doesn't seem to take the abuse that PRVs do when they are exposed.
Old 12-23-2014   #4

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
My Maravia does not have a pressure relief valve. I usually run with the fill valve in the back, but my boat is rigged so that the fill valve is easy to reach and I rarely need to top off my floor. I don't think it really matters.
Old 12-23-2014   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I run mine up front right now, though on my old boat I had it in the back. I really don't think it matters much and my only issue with it and the PRV being up front is standing on it and getting fly line caught occasionally. Thus far I've only had to top of my floor after I trailer it (PRV releases air) so once it's on the water and inflated it could be under my gear pile or hard floor and it wouldn't matter. I have asymmetric wear guards so if I want to change it I'd have to re-lace the floor. Something I'm doubtful to do as the pro's to having it in the back for me are barely outweighed by the con's - i.e. it really doesn't matter.
Old 12-23-2014   #6

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
I didn't really want people stomping on the valve and PRV in the front so they stay in the stern. As far as accessibility, my cargo usually gets completely unloaded each night so as long as I remember to check and top off the floor if it needs it in the morning before the cargo comes back it's a non issue.
Old 12-24-2014   #7
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by oarframe View Post
I didn't really want people stomping on the valve and PRV in the front so they stay in the stern. As far as accessibility, my cargo usually gets completely unloaded each night so as long as I remember to check and top off the floor if it needs it in the morning before the cargo comes back it's a non issue.
That's my reasoning. I also use a gear sling so the valve is fairly accessible unless the stern is fully loaded
Old 12-24-2014   #8

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What is this term "topping off"? Do you mean people have to keep filling their name brand boats with air every day???? Glad I bought a poverty boat (vanguard) 8 years ago. It holds air for a week on deso as well as all winter when I put it away. Heck according to the name brand boaters it was supposed to fall apart in a year, then it was 5 years, now it'll be 10 years.....all kidding aside, I run mine in the stern for the aforementioned reasons.
happy floating!
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014   #9

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Touche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
What is this term "topping off"? Do you mean people have to keep filling their name brand boats with air every day???? Glad I bought a poverty boat (vanguard) 8 years ago. It holds air for a week on deso as well as all winter when I put it away. Heck according to the name brand boaters it was supposed to fall apart in a year, then it was 5 years, now it'll be 10 years.....all kidding aside, I run mine in the stern for the aforementioned reasons.
happy floating!
Actually it's a self-fulfilling prophecy; my floor loses air slowly because there is sand in the valve, and there is sand in the valve because it is in an exposed location so I can easily top it off. That makes a ton of sense!

You "backwards" boaters are probably right....
Old 12-24-2014   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Up front. I use a board in the back so it wouldn't be accessible. My prv leaked for a few years until I got tired of it and replaced it. It also make a good little footgrab for the dogs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app