Old 06-30-2014   #1
Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
What should we see after our Lodore trip?

Ok, we are from Arkansas. Let the jokes commence. What and where are must see's in the vicinity of Vernal, Grand Junction, etc?

Plan is to make our way from Flaming Gorge (after ripping some lips) to Moab, then to the GC. Will end up in Park City end of the month headed back with no particular route.

We like to raft, kayak, and fish. Oh, and drink good beer.

PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #2
Angel Fire, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2004
Bug spray

Not sure what you should see, but take lots of bug spray. Never had so many mosquito bites before.

backwardsraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #3
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Originally Posted by PBR62 View Post
Ok, we are from Arkansas. Let the jokes commence. What and where are must see's in the vicinity of Vernal, Grand Junction, etc?

The Quarry Exhibit Hall, located over the world-famous Carnegie Dinosaur Quarry, is right next to your take-out at Dinosaur National Monument. Very interesting display of dinosaur remains.
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #4
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Single barbless lip ripping, please! I believe you will find the Moab area to be among the most memorable part of your trip. Deadhorse point just outside of town is pretty epic....Arches and Canyonlands are amazing. Plan enough time in those areas....a Westwater day trip with a Moab outfitter?....

You can't miss, man- hope you are ready for real beer....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #5
Louisville, Colorado
The Quarry is cool. But, there are also some very awesome, short-hike, Fremont petroglyphs near the take out.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #6
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
If you have your boat(s), hit up Ruby/Horsethief, Westwater, and/or the Moab Daily. While I agree the Moab area is very memorable, it is hotter than Hades there now and you will either want to be near water or up high in the mountains. The La Sal Mtns are right there and offer the classic alpine experience. If headed north from Canyonlands area, you could go check out Goblin Valley and the San Rafael Swell, located west of the rio colorado and south of I-70. Slot canyons, great visuals, and really good camping, but again, it will be HOT. You could float duckies, canoes, or perhaps even paco pads on the San Rafael through the swell too.

Regardless of what you do, that region is awesome and you can't go wrong.

Buy your good beer in Colorado whenever possible. There are other kinds of stores here you might like as well...
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
If you go through Rifle Colorado go see the falls, just ask for directions and the fish hatchery while you are there to see some real lips. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The John Wesley Powell museum in Green River is worth a stop if you're in the area. For very good Chinese food, 2 blocks or so south of I-70 in Fruita (just west of Grand Junction) is Dragon Treasure -we make a point to stop there to eat every time we're within 150 miles or so of the area. Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, Zion national parks all in the "general" vicinity are all worth going through.
markdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #9
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Colorado Nat'l Monument just outside Grand Junction.
Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #10
Silverthorne, Colorado
Canon Pintado, black canyon n.p (north side) grand Staircase Escalante. Find and use route 12. cottonwood canyon road is an excellent north south option.

webby is offline   Reply With Quote